Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes Sir mine has oil return line on bottom of cylinder… it’s leaking alitlle oil drop here and there. That return line connection at the bottom of cylinder is not very robust. Just compression fit into housing!?!

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
In the past I had a similar "issue". Unit would change sound but nothing would move.... took hydraulic hose off cylinder , aimed into pop bottle and.................. sounded different but no oil. Started to remove pump unit from mount and found a hull under the foot pedal............. how about that....... pedal would move far enough to change sound but not open valve.
A friends unit did the same...... checked pedal and it was free and clear to travel and was opening the valve but no oil to cylinder. We removed pump and reservoir from mount and poured out all oil. put it back together and filled reservoir with diesel........ pumped diesel fine and we repeated the operation 4 or 5 times then put new fresh oil in it....... that was 4(?) years ago........... has worked perfect since then..... Larry

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update: Loaded a tray of primers last night…..no issues!?!

Im betting I haven’t seen the last of this…so would definitely like to come up with idea before it happens again.

Larry what did that oil look like when you emptied it out? Did you see any particulate? If so how large were the particles? Did u examine them?

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
The oil had been in Kevins machine for about 2 years, it was honey colored and appeared uncontaminated. I stuck a cow magned in the oil after we drained it and there were no particles on it after about 2 hours..... at that same time though we noticed a bit of dark colored material (very, very fine) settled in the bottom of the container....... we followed the same procedure while flushing with diesel and had the same results.... the third flushing resulted in NO residue in the bottom of the container...... we ran the pump for 45 seconds to 1 minute with the diesel in it..... diesel has enough lubricity to protecct the vane type pump..... Larry

21 - 25 of 25 Posts