Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Press foot pedal and carriage doesn’t budge. Seems like there is additional pressure on the foot pedal. Pump whines a bit when foot pedal is depressed and the hydraulic hose lifts a bit like the pump is pushing oil to the cylinder. This occurred in middle of reloading session…working fine. Sounding fine 95 shells in and then nothing? Examined the linkage and nothing obvious appears out of place…. Can’t see anything binding? Messed with the needle valve at the cylinder and no indication of anything wrong…. Have not ever messed with this valve previously. The pump is Fenner Fluid Power.
Wondering what else I can do to diagnose?
Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flip oil level is fine. Question what would oil level do? Too low oil won’t cycle machine?

Ed collet is out of picture. Reloader is staged at beginning of downstroke .… collet is
not engaged yet.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was in the middle of session… loaded about 90 shells fine, no problems then just would cycle. Hit the foot pedal and carriage doesn’t budge. Feel some resistance on the foot pedal, hose flexes due to Trying to push fluid…. Kind of like when u turn the water on to a closed off watering hose.
And pump starts to whine. Could that valve be blocked… can it fail….like I said I didn’t touch the valve.

how do I test the cylinder?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Cut your troubleshooting in half is it hydraulic or is it the reloader mechanical locked up, remove the nut off the top of the cylinder and see if the cylinder moves with the pump, the valve is just a valve open all the way

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok yeah good point … that’s easy enough. Will do. Thanks! Won’t be able to get to it till tonight.
that valve is a needle valve…wonder how easy that thing is to get blocked up ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
It sounds to me that it is in your shut off valve . Because you are building pressure in the hose . You have to have a blockage at the valve or in the cylinder . Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called MEC and they said while possible valve failures or blockage are pretty rare. They recommend as FLIP states to disconnect cylinder from machine and attempt to cycle. Cylinder could be seized due to broken spring.

Question is there a way to cycle machine with cylinder disconnected?

·
Registered
25,662 Posts
Called MEC and they said while possible valve failures or blockage are pretty rare. They recommend as FLIP states to disconnect cylinder from machine and attempt to cycle. Cylinder could be seized due to broken spring.

Question is there a way to cycle machine with cylinder disconnected?
Perhaps not a full cycle but hand pressure applied to the point the cylinder connects will give you a good idea of if the machine is hard locked up.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Does your cylinder have screw caps on top and bottom and a drain hose connected to the bottom?

If it does not and is the sealed type. The oil can blow by the o-ring and fill the bottom with oil and everything stops.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I would take out bolt #149 and try and cycle the piston. Mec only powers the piston down and the spring pushes it back up. You can try and pull down on part #150 and #152 to see if the carriage will move down. It will not be easy to move though. You are making the trouble shooting way too hard.
Product Rectangle Black Organism Font

·
Registered
989 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Did you attempt to unscrew the silver caps on your black cylinder? I would bet that they are NOT threaded and therefore do NOT unscrew. Usually they are pressed on. The other one, no problem.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update…..Sorry for delay but worked late on Tuesday evening and last night shot …… well got off work and ran to shoot games till 10 last night.

So later Tuesday night I went down to man cave to tackle this problem. Spoke to a buddy who has much more experience with 9000H than me and he gave me a few potential problem places to look for reloader interference/ binding. Did thorough inspection again and found nothing. Had the 7/16” wrench and socket to disconnect cylinder from reloader. Before dismantle plugged in unit and hit the foot pedal and miraculously it cycled?????? WHAAAAAAAAAT? Cycled normally!

Had about 10 primers left in the tray from night before and I loaded them out with no problems…..everything looked and sounded normal. It was late and I didn’t want to start a detailed forensics exercise so I called it a night….

My cylinder is silver with screwed on end caps. It is seeping a small amount of oil on the top and I think bottom as well. On Monday when this happened I shut the reloader down twice… one time waiting about a 1/2 hour before trying it again to no avail.

could this have been some sort of hydraulic lockup?

I should get a reloading session in later today or tomorrow and will report back when I do.

Thanks for all your responses and speaking of Thanks…..

Here is wishing you and yours a very blessed and thankful Thanksgiving holiday!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Internally speaking there should be no oil inside the cylinder below the plunger on the ram. The plunger is not hydraulically driven back to the top of the stroke, rather the spring on the reloader shaft pushes it back up and that is why the hydraulic units have a heavier spring in them than the automate or manual configuration loader uses. Having oil below that plunger would be a sign the the plunger is letting oil past it and needs replacement. If you have oil on the wrong side of the plunger I don't believe it would fix itself by just sitting there as the only way back to the reservoir is through the hose that is located at the top of the cylinder. Pretty hard for liquids to flow up hill although I have some engineers argue with me that it will.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts