Trapshooters Forum banner

MEC 9000 finished shell catcher

3060 Views 20 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Goody313
Tried to search the forum for related threads but could not find any? Gotta believe there are some previous but my searches came up empty....most all the hits were on gun shell catchers.

So I'm sure you guys got some really creative setups and would like to see what you have.

I have what I would call "portable" reloading bench. The press is set centered on a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood. So I have about 6-8 inches to the edge of plywood. I bought a plastic flexible (accordion) type gutter extension 18" long route the shells in the tube over the edge into some container. I think this would be ok but have to work out connection from gutter ext to shell chute.

Just not seeing it right now so seeking better ideas.

Thanks in advance for sharing!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
36,891 Posts
One way I found was to watch a dozen or so shells drop off the press then used a 3 inch hole saw and drill through the bench the spot where the shells fell. I was surprised how well it worked, thought I might have to use a pvc pipe flange to funnel the shells though the hole, but did not need it. A bucket sits under the hole. You can sweep shot and powder down that same hole into the bucket.

My presses also sit in very large (length by width) cardboard boxes to contain shot, powder and shells.

Reactions: little bud

· Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that's a winner!

My bench is actually a B&D workmate so I have support structure right beneath the bench which kind of prohibits the location of the "drop box" directly below.

Joe good suggestion on "Recommended Reading" .... unfortunately the referenced post was from 2009 and our ability / affinity to post pics has greatly increased since! For this kind of thread a pic is worth a thousand words.

Rick I have the feet of the workmate sitting in little carpet sliders so the entire bench can be slid very easily on short tight nap carpeting. I'm limited by the hydraulic connections but I can still get quite abit of shift to allow vacuuming.... for my spilled cigar ashes of course!

Juuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding! 😎

· Registered
2,399 Posts
PLEASE__Notice above a "90" at the bottom of the drop tube..GOOD IDEA!!! that effectively slows the drop speed. I have a friend who dropped 20 ga shells directly into a bucket and the odds caught up...BANG!!!!
No one hurt. The hull will travel farther than the shot but it is a scary proposition.
Again PLEASE put something on the bottom of your drop tube. I use a radiator clamp and an old sock with the toe cut away.
Lots of options, just use good judgement. We don't want you hurt.
My Best
Jim

· Registered
2,256 Posts
Tried to search the forum for related threads but could not find any? Gotta believe there are some previous but my searches came up empty....most all the hits were on gun shell catchers.

So I'm sure you guys got some really creative setups and would like to see what you have.

I have what I would call "portable" reloading bench. The press is set centered on a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood. So I have about 6-8 inches to the edge of plywood. I bought a plastic flexible (accordion) type gutter extension 18" long route the shells in the tube over the edge into some container. I think this would be ok but have to work out connection from gutter ext to shell chute.

Just not seeing it right now so seeking better ideas.

Thanks in advance for sharing!
I used to drop shells into a bucket until i had 2 hit base to base and one went off. Real depends moment. Couldn't hear very well for a while. Shot rained all over the room. Shell blew out through the side and not the end. There was a very clear crescent mark on the primer that matched what the base of the shell was. Not find any powder burns on anything to my surprise. Ended my tossing into a bucket for sure!!! TAKE CARE!!!

· Registered
7,249 Posts
I cut a hole in my workbench, made a backstop since not all shells hit the hole perfectly, and I have a white flyer target box on a shelf below the hole to accumulate the shot shells. They drop crimp first, if you haven’t noticed, so no explosions.

The airspace between the hole and the ramp accentuates my daring personality and commitment to gravity defying stunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I cut a hole in my workbench, made a backstop since not all shells hit the hole perfectly, and I have a white flyer target box on a shelf below the hole to accumulate the shot shells. They drop crimp first, if you haven’t noticed, so no explosions.

The airspace between the hole and the ramp accentuates my daring personality and commitment to gravity defying stunts.

Mine drop crimp first also. Into 5 gallon bucket
Steve

· Registered
7,249 Posts
It never occurred to me to move the MEC over and let the shells drop into the drawer. I like that idea.

I think more shells fit into the white flyer box, and I can carry the box somewhere else to box up while I watch TV. But if I ever get a reloading room instead of my garage, I think I would like a drawer to collect shells.

Reactions: THALL

· Registered
274 Posts
My dad had the same set up in Fla. he liked it because he could get up from the machine and walk away and the bench was clean in the drawer was a can for the primers to fall in to . And the mec stackers to box the shells , and all the bushings for powder . It worked so nice I did the same for my set up .

· Registered
306 Posts
That workmate bench brings back memories! I was a Cpl living in the barracks and had one under my rack. On the weekends I'd crank out rounds on a RCBS Partner press. One Saturday evening I was watching TV and resizing 45 ACP when I found one with a live primer. Yes it will go off if you run the press forcefully. The sound was like an artillery shell to me and I barely got everything stashed before the OOD got to my door LOL.

I still have that bench too!

· Registered
3,055 Posts
I blocked off the shell drop slide with cardboard and duct tape. I remove the loaded shell from the slide and place it in the MEC boxing rack. When the rack is full I box the shells. I find it is a nice break between 25 shells. I also use the small MEC bottle for shot too. It holds just right for 100 one oz loads.

Jason

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.