Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my mec 9000 worked on at Grand got it home had all kind of problem . Got all worked out but one. After reloading same hull, wads, powder charge, shot as before some crimp reopen after setting over night.Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
MEC Shooting Sports - 9000 Series (Model G)

Check out the above link for parts and the name of the parts.

I would lower the " #78 cam crimp punch " one full turn and then see what it looks like. If the crimp still needs to be deeper go another 1/2 turn.

The cam crimp punch goes through the " #75 cam crimp die assembly".

To lower the " #78 cam crimp punch" you will need to loosen the " #58 lock nut" that is on the " #78 cam crimp punch" just below the " #33 Turret assembly. Take a flat blade screw driver and stick it in the end of the " #78 cam crimp punch" and turn it one full turn to the right or clock wise, that will lower the punch giving you a deeper crimp.

Make sure you hold the screw driver in the camp crimp punch while you tighten the lock nut with a wrench. If you don't hold the cam crimp punch in place with the screw driver it may turn while you are tighening the lock nut.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had my mec 9000 worked on at Grand got it home had all kind of problem . Got all worked out but one. After reloading same hull, wads, powder charge, shot as before some crimp reopen after setting over night.Any help would be appreciated
MEC Shooting Sports - 9000 Series (Model G)

Check out the above link for parts and the name of the parts.

I would lower the " #78 cam crimp punch " one full turn and then see what it looks like. If the crimp still needs to be deeper go another 1/2 turn.

The cam crimp punch goes through the " #75 cam crimp die assembly".

To lower the " #78 cam crimp punch" you will need to loosen the " #58 lock nut" that is on the " #78 cam crimp punch" just below the " #33 Turret assembly. Take a flat blade screw driver and stick it in the end of the " #78 cam crimp punch" and turn it one full turn to the right or clock wise, that will lower the punch giving you a deeper crimp.

Make sure you hold the screw driver in the camp crimp punch while you tighten the lock nut with a wrench. If you don't hold the cam crimp punch in place with the screw driver it may turn while you are tighening the lock nut.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Usually the problem with loaded shells mushrooming open is the load. The stack up is too tall for the hull, and the crush section of the wad collapses when loading it. After sitting, the wad returns to its normal length which pushes open the crimp.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have used the same set up for hundreds of the following loads 7/8 DR wads #8 shot sts and nitro shells,no AA chedite primer. Why are 95% look like factory
crimps and just these few have that opening problem Powder 17.5 reddot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts