Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I need some help. Collet on a 9000gn doesn’t want to open and is smashing brass.

on the downstroke you’ll feel the resistance. If you stop and lift the handle slightly the collet will open, shell falls in and everything works like it should. This isn’t a rarity it happens more times than not.

I’ve takin the collet off and cleaned it, hull will fall right in it.
I’ve adjusted the wad guide rod about every which way possible. I’ve moved the wad guide itself up and down.

I don’t know where else to go. Any suggestions

this is a new machine, it has done this since it was put together.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s has a fresh application of anti seize.
Primer buildup isn’t the Issue
I’ll check on the nut next time I mess with it.
Mec will get a phone call Tuesday if it isn’t figured out

·
Registered
300 Posts
Maybe CurlyN will offer some advice. He is the MEC master and has helped me a number of times on fussy bits of my 9000H units.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I was just getting ready to start a thread about this very problem today. I have a MEC 9000E Auto-Mate that is brand new out of the box never used. I put a shell in station 1 for a dry run and it smashed the shell. Manual say unit is shipped from factory with collet adjusted correctly. Will be trying to figure this out between now and Tuesday as well.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I was just getting ready to start a thread about this very problem today. I have a MEC 9000E Auto-Mate that is brand new out of the box never used. I put a shell in station 1 for a dry run and it smashed the shell. Manual say unit is shipped from factory with collet adjusted correctly. Will be trying to figure this out between now and Tuesday as well.

View attachment 1714484
For that to happen, the hull isnt falling all the way to the bottom of the collet.

·
Registered
750 Posts
For that to happen, the hull isnt falling all the way to the bottom of the collet.
Would the cause of that be an adjustment or lubrication issue? Page 31 of the manual in the lubrication and cleaning section says the inside of the collet and shell lifter must be kept clean and dry.

·
Registered
68 Posts

View attachment 1714484
When I've had that problem it turned out that a piece of shot dropped into the collet and restricted the movement of the shell lifter or I got lube on the shell lifter. Remove the shell lifter and check to see that there is not a stray BB in the collet and wipe the shell lifter tube and inside the hole in the collet that the lifter rides in.

·
Registered
16,756 Posts
The rod that holds the wad guide should go all the way down to the C clip on it. If not, the shell lifter will not allow the hull rim to go in the relief slots. causes can be Wad Guide stopping on hull mouth, misalignment of the fork underneath, or maladjustment of the fork threads.
In my case, hulls smash because dumb operator man allowed a piece of shot to get in the collet. I have a little pick standing by to clear it if necessary.
I also keep a can of computer air handy to blow crap out of the collet.
Make sure the shell lifter is nesting properly in the fork.

HM

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

View attachment 1714484

Thats exactly what happens to me if i let it, only difference is i can feel it happening and can correct it. with the automate you cant.

Mine is also brand new and did this from the start. Hopefully one of us can figure it out and help the other out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your timing is out - Half mile has some of the reasons why it could be out. Also check that the collet does not have a worn out finger.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
James, not sure if this will help but the attached picture is my 9000 that is brand new, out of the box, never used, factory settings Etc.
View attachment 1714499
I can see the little spring swinging in the wind at the back side of your machine that needs to be hooked to that arm so that it will be pulled down to the nut in the foreground. I do believe that is your problem as it does not let the shell drop to the bottom of the collet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 9000 mec and reload lots of shells. About a month ago shells started to hang up in collet. Called mec they said the fingers were getting weak and to replace it. Works like new now.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I can see the little spring swinging in the wind at the back side of your machine that needs to be hooked to that arm so that it will be pulled down to the nut in the foreground. I do believe that is your problem as it does not let the shell drop to the bottom of the collet.
Very well could be my problem, I'm still setting my up from out of the box. Will be doing a step by step walk through the instruction manual later today and hopefully it's just operator setup error.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts