Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I decided to try reloading 1-1/8 ounce shells on my MEC 9000E. I had a bag of the orange Claybuster CB 0118-12 wads (WT12/WAA12 replacement) laying around and I can't even remember where they came from (I didn't buy them.)

I've been loading 1 ounce of shot (Downrange XL-1 wad and Winchester primer) with bushing 29 which gives about 16.5 grains of Hodgdon Clays.

All I did was change the charge bar to the 1-1/8 ounce bar, and change the powder bushing to a number 30.

The shot drop is a little light, at 1.08 ounces, but the powder drop was perfect at 17.4 grains.

I figured I would have to make some crimp adjustments, but the first shell came out perfect, and every one thereafter looked perfect as well.

Just lucky I guess.

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The charge bar only throws 1.08 ounces of shot, but that's more than the 1 ounce charge bar throws...which was about 0.96-ish.

Still occasionally get "hiccups" with my 9000E. Dropped primer frequently gets "stuck" as the platen is rotating, and the arm that rotates the platen get knocked off.

Plus I had two last night where the wad didn't make it into the top of the hull, and shot went everywhere. Many unrepeatable words were uttered in anger...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Tim,
My 9000H works like a charm, until it doesn't!! Then I have a bunch of fiddling to do until I'm back on track.
I am using a Universal Charge Bar, but I do have the MEC charge bar and might just try it out. See you soon out at Mary's.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Hi Tim.... before my shooting and reloading have been put on hold - still are - I got frustrated several times with the 2 MEC 9000s I was using because of the "automated" issues you described. I just disconnected the arm which rotated the platen, effectively converting both loaders to Grabber configuration. Slowed things down a bit, but cut down on the messes as I was in control. Best Regards, Ed

·
Registered
97 Posts
Started with MEC, went to Pacific, Ponsness Warren and on to a MEC 9000H.. Should have just stayed MEC, it does have an issue every once in a while but an easy fix. I couldn't keep up with my son's shooting without it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What size shot is being used? I am guessing the bigger the shot size the more chance there is for a lighter shot charge being thrown. I use number 9 for skeet with a special skeet charge bar mec and I get consistent .873 to .877 loads. Same with my 1oz bar with number 9. I love my mec 9000 12ga. I'm in the works on trying to get a 20ga 9000.

Best regards

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What size shot is being used? I am guessing the bigger the shot size the more chance there is for a lighter shot charge being thrown.
Although I'm not really concerned about the fact that it is a little short of 1-1/8 ounce, it is reclaimed shot so it is probably an inconsistent mixture of 7-1/2's, 8's and 9's, and probably a mix of hard and soft shot as well.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Tim, I've honed out my MEC 1 1/8 charge bar to give me a more accurate weight of the high antimony 7.5 shot that I use. It is my view the charge bar was likely calibrated for chilled shot which has lower antimony content. If I recall correctly, it added about 18 more 7.5 shot.... not much difference but for shooting long range handicap, it could be.

·
Registered
14,583 Posts
MEC bars drop light weights of shot. Maybe for liability? Just take a drimmel and hone it out gradually till you get the weight you want.

The only change required to the MEC for 1 oz to 1 1/8 oz would be the powder drop tube (that also seats the wad and wad pressure) may have to be raised due to the added length of most 1 oz wads.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Hi Tim.... before my shooting and reloading have been put on hold - still are - I got frustrated several times with the 2 MEC 9000s I was using because of the "automated" issues you described. I just disconnected the arm which rotated the platen, effectively converting both loaders to Grabber configuration. Slowed things down a bit, but cut down on the messes as I was in control. Best Regards, Ed
I did the same thing with my 9000 and have since bought a Grabber. I wish MEC would make the Grabber so the finished shell would simply drop off the press instead of taking it off by hand.

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These loads will be used for singles. Actually it's more shot than I have been using, which was about 0.95 ounces.

Not really interested in honing the charge bar out. I'll go with it as-is.

We'll see how they work this weekend.

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 26 Posts