Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, I honed out my 1-1/8 ounce charge bar so it would throw closer to 1-1/8 ounces. It was throwing closer to 1-1/16 ounces, so I got out the old Dremel tool and hogged it out so it would throw right at 495-500 grains pretty consistently.

I just got a new batch of Remington STS 7-1/2 shot.

Checked a few loads.

Consistently 530-533 grains, which is more like 1-1/4 ounces.

Pellet count should be right about 400, but it's coming out more like 425.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm sure you already know this but you ask. Get another bar and modify it for your new lot of shot. The composition of your new batch of shot must be made of different alloys.

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure you already know this but you ask. Get another bar and modify it for your new lot of shot. The composition of your new batch of shot must be made of different alloys.
Yeah, I took it apart and checked to see if the rubber insert maybe was missing or something. But I think you are correct. I just have to get a new charge bar and adjust it for this shot batch.

I counted pellets, and the pellets are right where they should be. 400 pellets weighs about 500 grains.

But this bar is throwing 425 pellets.

Oh well...

Reactions: John Jr

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Last year, I honed out my 1-1/8 ounce charge bar so it would throw closer to 1-1/8 ounces. It was throwing closer to 1-1/16 ounces, so I got out the old Dremel tool and hogged it out so it would throw right at 495-500 grains pretty consistently.

I just got a new batch of Remington STS 7-1/2 shot.

Checked a few loads.

Consistently 530-533 grains, which is more like 1-1/4 ounces.

Pellet count should be right about 400, but it's coming out more like 425.

Any ideas???
Maybe talk to an engineer?

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
Any ideas???
Yep, another vote for a new charge bar. Then grind it out accordingly.

Common sense tells me, that with real hard lead. Your loads should be coming out lighter!!! Not heavier!!! Something doesn't sound right to me. Are your sure your scale is correct???Mmm break em all Jeff

·
Registered
29,552 Posts

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are your sure your scale is correct???
Yeah, I thought of that. Turned the scale off, restarted it, and recalibrated. Same outcome.

Yeah, the density should be less!

Weird.

Reactions: Pull & Mark

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could drill a small hole on one side through to the cavity. Insert a small rod the size of the hole you drilled, just enough to reduce the amount of lead thrown. You could epoxy or tap the hole and use a hex head set screw. You can adjust to desired setting, then epoxy or lock tite. Or leave dry and have your own adjustable charge bar.
Way too much work. I've already ordered a new charge bar.

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe the density of the shot changed between lots? Less antimony? Change in shot size?
Yeah, I'm stumped. Last time I used this charge bar it was with West Coast shot. It was dropping right at 500 grains. I can't remember what the pellet count was, unfortunately

This shot is just as I expect it to be. 400 pellets weighs right at 500 grains. Which is right about what my 366 was dropping with STS shot until I ran out a couple months ago.

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JB Weld and re-ream, problem solved. I used tapered reamers for bars and bushings, much more precise than a dremel, although slower.
Good idea on the tapered reamer.

Reactions: John Jr

·
Registered
653 Posts
The charge bar only drops a measured volume. Any change in size or density of shot being used will change the dropped weight.
To make the bar drop less of a shot volume, add a piece of tape to the inside of the hole in the bar. Same for powder drop, to make a bushing drop less powder, paint the ID of the bushing with fingernail polish.

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
Tim did you check your scale with a known balance beam scale? Or did you use known weights to check the accuracy of your scale? Its real weird for sure. Your drops should weight less, not more!!! Mmm Anyway good luck with the new charge bar. Then you'll have a charge bar for each type of shot you buy!!! break em all Jeff

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tim did you check your scale with a known balance beam scale? Or did you use known weights to check the accuracy of your scale? Its real weird for sure. Your drops should weight less, not more!!! Mmm Anyway good luck with the new charge bar. Then you'll have a charge bar for each type of shot you buy!!! break em all Jeff
I have an RCBS Chargemaster. It comes with two weights that you use when calibrating, which they recommend doing every time you start it. 50 grams each.

I also have a .223 bullet that weighs right at 55 grains, so I use that as a check.

Reactions: Pull & Mark

·
Registered
19,222 Posts
I have an RCBS Chargemaster. It comes with two weights that you use when calibrating, which they recommend doing every time you start it. 50 grams each.

I also have a .223 bullet that weighs right at 55 grains, so I use that as a check.
Weigh a US nickel.

Reactions: timb99

·
Registered
739 Posts
you do know why you drop shotshell charges both powder and shot, there are so many variables the factory says
shells aren't any closer to being perfect than one loaded on a Mec 600 jr just take the closet bushings to what I am intending to load even the powder is different from lot to lot and so is the shot and the weight of the wadtoo many variables to ever get perfect.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Apparently, the STS is smaller diameter.... a difficult measurement to take precisely on individual pellets.

There is tremendous variation in pellet diameters for shot that is nominally #7.5. When I check #7.5 shot for hardness, I start with with a dozen or so in the palm of my hand and pick them up with a vernier caliper. Those measuring 0.93-0.97 are segregated until I have 40 or so. Sometimes I have to measure 100+ to get 40. Then I repeat the process on those 40. On the second go around I'll often cull 10 or so that are outside that range. I do it a third time and cull more to end up with 20 pellets that average 0.95". If I didn't do that, I'd be comparing apples and oranges.

FWIW, I have a 1 ounce bar that I opened up a tad and it drops 28-30 gms of WestCoast depending on the bag. I wanted 1 ounce so I have to accept the occasional lot of 1 & 1/16, and that's without changing brands.

·
Registered
Brownings
465 Posts
Could the STS shot just be smaller than 7.5? Maybe 8, 8.5, or 9?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts