Trapshooters Forum banner

Mec 650 Rebuild for steel shot target loads

1299 Views 7 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  joe kuhn
This 650 and separate sizer was donated by @KJH and will go to 2 younger shooters at our local club. This is the first time I'll be sponsoring a youth with a machine. Since we shoot steel shot at our club, I've had to modify the 650 some to get it to work with the readily available Fiocchi hulls that people toss all the time. They're 1200 fps Dove loads and they work great. We'll set the young men up so the hulls are loaded once and then tossed for good.

Here's the loader.

And here's some of the work done on it from the top arrow down.

1. New steel bar. Old bar was a Universal Bar and I didn't want to worry about it's metal edges with steel shot which can get stuck without the rubber contact point standard on all Mec bars now.

2. New curved bar lever replaced the one with the Universal Bar which was straight. I drilled a hole in the end for a roller so it doesn't put a groove in the bar.

3. Lowered the pre-crimper with some washers to get a little more pre-crimp. 6 star pre-crimper had to be ground down some so it would rotate freely in the die.

4. Installed the Mec wad rammer tube and drop tube for steel shot so it doesn't pull the MG42 out when moving the handle up.

5. New wad guide as detailed below.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is the really cool wad guide for the bigger steel shot wads. The guide has to be pulled towards you & out of the way so you can push the wad up onto the rammer tube. Then you let the guide go and everything lines up per the spring. Works slick once you get it installed.

The red arrow above points to my replacement bushing since the original that came with the guide wouldn't quite fit on the rod of the old 650. Works good even though it's a little short and allows a little wobble. It's not a problem.

13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
First 5 shells - a little dished because of all the space in the straight walled hulls. The cushioned LBC wad from Ballistic Products will fill that space a little better than their MG42, I hear.

13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I didn't post was a picture of the two shells that had a bulge just above the brass like when you tighten your belt too tight. All I did was rotate back the cam on the main crimp station and it has been fine since.

Will be tuning the primer drop positioning a little better and add a new spring for the bar lock when it comes from Mec today. Almost done.

13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aircraft Wood Propeller Propeller Machine

With the piece of bic pen trick in the drop hole I got the primers dropping consistently. New spring on the bar lock got that working. Wood handle I had in spare parts bin works great especially with the bar lock adjusted correctly - it takes some pressure at the very bottom to compress that spring on on the powder drop tube.

Mount it to the board and the training can begin.

Really nice loader. Thanks again to @KJH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.