Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MEC 600 Jr in 28 gauge and want a MEC 600 Jr in .410.

Buying a used 600 .410 loader has been a fruitless search.
A conversion kit can be had for about $110.
I’ve some mechanical ability but I’m concerned about the cartridge length change.
MEC 600 .410 reloaders can be changed from 2 1/2” to 3” with a kit and moving the base screw hole.

My 28 gauge 600 is for a 2 3/4” shell.
I’m concerned that my 28 gauge 600 won’t adapt to 2 1/2” length.
I looked for videos on line and found nothing.
The conversion kit has instructions but, they don’t seem to be online.

Has anyone here made this conversation?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I converted my 16 Ga MEC junior into a 20Ga years ago. For the price of the parts, it was not good economics. It was not difficult, unbolt the old part put in the new, one piece at a time. I would just buy a new MEC in .410 and sell your old one.

It is hard to believe that a MEC jr is now $250. I'll bet you can get $175 for your old one.

I bought my 1st brand new MEC Jr at Turnstyle department store south of Gary for $35. The money is becoming worthless. BTW, that old Jr still makes shells on a regular basis, good investment.

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
I have done it a while back. I remember it was a bit of a hassle. But then, I was more inexperienced.

You can look at Mec outdoors.com for the parts list for 600 Junior. If there is a different base for .410 it will show a different part number.
Seems to me like a Junior is a Junior for the most part. Parts kits are for different gauges but I never saw separate length designations.

HM

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
Die sets are 137.00 or so, ebay has complete loaders for around that price. BTW, there is a bolt in the crimp die that has to be relocated for 3 inch.

HM

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I have a MEC 600 Jr in 28 gauge and want a MEC 600 Jr in .410.

My 28 gauge 600 is for a 2 3/4” shell.
I’m concerned that my 28 gauge 600 won’t adapt to 2 1/2” length.
I looked for videos on line and found nothing.
I converted a 2-3/4 press to make 2-1/2 shells for an antique 12 gauge gun. It is just another pair of holes. But you really have to be sure you get all the measurements right. The dies are not the problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used to switch a 600 jr between 28 gauge and 410. It is still set-up as a 28 gauge loader. It was originally a 12 gauge reloader. I picked up the conversion dies for $15 or less.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I have done it a while back. I remember it was a bit of a hassle. But then, I was more inexperienced.

You can look at Mec outdoors.com for the parts list for 600 Junior. If there is a different base for .410 it will show a different part number.
Seems to me like a Junior is a Junior for the most part. Parts kits are for different gauges but I never saw separate length designations.

HM
The 600jr is the only press I know you can convert over. I not sure about the sizemaster. The progressive presses have gauge specific bases and die plates.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wood Automotive tire Red Automotive wheel system Gas

Thats 2 layers of Luan. Mec sells a base plate to do this but I couldn’t see spending the money for a spacer when I converted from 2.75” 12ga to 2.5” .410
Automotive tire Bottle Gas Automotive wheel system Kitchen appliance

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just buy another 600. Not worth changing. Look in Craigs list. I have seen alot of mec's there..........
In the end this is usually the smartest thing to do. Theres no way I would switch out die sets to load between 12, 16, 20, and .410.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a 12 ga. I put the 410 kit on it. It was easy. Buy the short kit i think its called. Leave it set on 3 inch. If u want to load 2.5 add short kit and charge bar and right bushing.

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
I never switched dies on a reloader. Just bought another. I did change a 410 JR to 3 inch once. No plans to do it again.

HM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts