Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has installed an aftermarket baseplate on their MEC Reloader. With the propensity for the .410 hull to be “tippy” during the reloading process, wondering if the added thickness of this baseplate would add additional stability worth the investment ? Anyone have any direct experience with this piece ?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I have one for my 28, much better than stock for me.
I've did my first one without having MEC's spring tool, easier with one.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
who sells the after market carrier plate shown in the pic above? Thanks in advance. Regards, Bob

·
Premium Member
742 Posts

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
300 Posts
I put one on my 410 9000H a couple years ago. Easy install. I noted a significant improvement with wobbly shells. Worth the nominal investment of time and money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone had success reloading without the additional shell plate?
Or is it more that it's "fine" without out, but "great" with it?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
ry2two
I reloaded for over 30 years with the original shell plate on my .410 and 28 ga. 76 series grabbers, the B&R shell plate is an improvement. I installed the shell plate during the Covid 19 lock down while I was replacing worn parts on my 40 year old presses.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Check the search on. There was a thread less than six months ago about this with good information on it.
Reloading .410's on a Progressive Reloader

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Anyone had success reloading without the additional shell plate?
Or is it more that it's "fine" without out, but "great" with it?

You hit the nail on the head!
The factory shell plate functions fine, but the aftermarket replacement is sooooo much better.
MG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dragging this back up.

Does installing the shell plate mean you also need to modify the final crimp die?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes the final die has to be shortened to clear the taller shell plate. The directions included with the shell plate describe this.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Does the Primer Drop tube have to be modified as well? It looks like a tiny mis-alignment there and the primer feed tube is going to bind and bend the heck out of the assembly. I do get occasional shot jumping out, so this intrigues me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts