Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering buying a MEC Automate....but might back off on that.
Been loading Federal Top Guns for a couple years now...a good friend got out of shooting and gave me about 10,000 Top Gun hulls. This year I went back to loading Gun Clubs...I forgot how easy they are to load! Feels like butter after loading the Federals. I guess the Top Guns have a different, or heavier, or differently tempered base. They certainly feel tougher in my MEC.

Hmm....what new gun can I apply that $700 to???

Trail

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo & CG Summit Combo.
8,262 Posts
Buy the automate. Not needing shoulder surgery in 20 years will make it worthwhile.
Exactly. My right shoulder got to the point that I had tears in my eyes trying to mount my gun.
And besides that, just like my Stock Lock...I didn't think my gun had much recoil to start with but WOW! When there's no recoil - all of a sudden you realize there was more going on than you thought. Same with pulling a handle. Every time I watch my 9000E cycle up and down I am so thankful that all I'm doing is pushing buttons.
Well worth the cost.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Exactly. My right shoulder got to the point that I had tears in my eyes trying to mount my gun.
And besides that, just like my Stock Lock...I didn't think my gun had much recoil to start with but WOW! When there's no recoil - all of a sudden you realize there was more going on than you thought. Same with pulling a handle. Every time I watch my 9000E cycle up and down I am so thankful that all I'm doing is pushing buttons.
Well worth the cost.
Get the foot pedal from Mo-Man and be in button-less heaven!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well worth the cost.
That was me 15 years ago before the Mn. State shoot after loading enough shells for my son and I. Had tears in my eyes just driving to Alex, probably shouldn't have even driven. Knew I couldn't mount my gun so didn't even try to shoot but got to watch my son place class runner up and be in a shoot off. That made the tears worth it.

Bought one of Ben's automates as soon as I got home and haven't looked back. Although I don't reload the 12 or 20 anymore just the 16 but the automate paid for itself a long time ago. Half an hour ago FedEx truck came to the house and I ran down to open the garage door as he carried 2,000 20 ga. shells through the snow for me and set them inside the garage for $4.99 a box with free shipping. Good enough for a couple months sporting targets and 5 stand, and put a smile on my face.

Never did reload Top Guns but did a few Gun Clubs. Not a fan of even those using an automate you can tell the difference between them and STS & Nitros. Have been giving a friend of mine my Gun Club hulls and while he would probably like to think he has another 2k yellow hulls coming I think I've given him enough over the last couple of years and will just throw these in the round bin as I shoot them so I don't have to carry the damn things around. Will still go head first into a dumpster after purple hulls though.

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo & CG Summit Combo.
8,262 Posts
That was me 15 years ago before the Mn. State shoot after loading enough shells for my son and I. Had tears in my eyes just driving to Alex, probably shouldn't have even driven. Knew I couldn't mount my gun so didn't even try to shoot but got to watch my son place class runner up and be in a shoot off. That made the tears worth it.

Bought one of Ben's automates as soon as I got home and haven't looked back. Although I don't reload the 12 or 20 anymore just the 16 but the automate paid for itself a long time ago. Half an hour ago FedEx truck came to the house and I ran down to open the garage door as he carried 2,000 20 ga. shells through the snow for me and set them inside the garage for $4.99 a box with free shipping. Good enough for a couple months sporting targets and 5 stand, and put a smile on my face.

Never did reload Top Guns but did a few Gun Clubs. Not a fan of even those using an automate you can tell the difference between them and STS & Nitros. Have been giving a friend of mine my Gun Club hulls and while he would probably like to think he has another 2k yellow hulls coming I think I've given him enough over the last couple of years and will just throw these in the round bin as I shoot them so I don't have to carry the damn things around. Will still go head first into a dumpster after purple hulls though.
I've gotten rid of most my hulls except for STS and Nitro.
Loading one ounce in the green ones and 1-1/8 in the gold.
I did try a couple different hulls without touching the factory set up and they loaded great. I just don't want a bunch of crap laying around.
Two hulls so no confusion as to what's in what, two wads, one primer, one powder, 8's and 7-1/7's.
Simple. Clean. Fun and Done!

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
PJ, I thought about doing the same thing - singles and skeet 1oz loads in green and HDCP loads in gold but... lol
I keep getting free this and that from ol' guys and I gotta try all kinds of loads for this and that. My shot gun reloading stuff has expanded from the front porch into the den... $hit everywhere !
But it keeps me out of trouble.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get the Automate. And the foot pedal. You won't regret it. Kind of like getting your first dishwasher -- you wonder how you ever got along without it.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Get that automate so you can continue to shoot without having to go through shoulder surgery and rehab. It will be worth the money.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You guys sound like golfers who say they golf for the exercise, and then ride a cart. If I can't pull that handle anymore, I probably can't lift the gun either. Also, I'm very frugal. (Cheap) Fortunately I have two sons who know how to reload if it comes to that.

·
Registered
14,535 Posts
You guys sound like golfers who say they golf for the exercise, and then ride a cart. If I can't pull that handle anymore, I probably can't lift the gun either. Also, I'm very frugal. (Cheap) Fortunately I have two sons who know how to reload if it comes to that.
Short sighted.

·
Registered
874 Posts
After loading 30 to 40 boxes a week for myself, my wife, daughter, and granddaughter for a year on a 650, a friend sold me his 9000H. Thought I had died and went to heaven. I've never used a automate, but doing it without a foot petal would seem like a PITA. I friend who shoots a lot of skeet has four 9000Hs all plumbed into one hyd. unit. He just throws a switch for which one he wants. Kind a neat.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Perhaps you are a low-volume shooter. Perhaps you are one of those guys who really just loves reloading. I am neither.

I reload simply to provide shells for practice. there are better things to do with my time. So when I sit down to load, it's usually a thousand or more at a time. The Automate, and now the PW E-drive on a Spolar, made that much more simple.

Oh the horror, to think of pulling that handle so many times! Ughhh!

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Another thing that may help is to knock the wooden handle off the lever and work a piece of 3/4 conduit pipe over it. It does not have to be real long, Measure the length so it is 6 or 7 inches longer than the old wooden handle. You would be surprised how much easier it pulls. And it does not cost very much.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Seems like if you truly thought that, then you'd simply buy your loads at the store. Good quality shells available for just pennies more than reloads. Just saying....
The majority of my reloads are 3/4 oz 12 ga, and I can not find them for just pennies more than reloads, let me know when you do!

Here's my 3/4 oz loading, using CURRENT prices from my distributor, although I have a huge supply from past purchases, at some lower prices, although the shot actually went down to 34.25 a bag, I'm using the 35 a bag I paid. I could save .07 cents a box if I switched to Winchester primers, but I'm happy with the Federals, been using them for years.

Let me know when you find factory 3/4 oz loads for just a few pennies more than $3.58 a box!!

Text Font Line Screenshot

·
Supporting Vendor
6,009 Posts
I want an Automate. I have an Auto-Drive on my P/W 800 Plus where I load 20 & 28 gauge. I load all my .410's on a MEC 9000. My back does not like the manual MEC 9000 very much. I have looked for used Automates but there are none. Must be everyone likes them!

Reactions: mg1polo
1 - 20 of 39 Posts