Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
Curious where your top and bottom barrel shoot, POI. Im a 50/50 60/40 trap shooter from 27 yards.

Also, your choice of choke tubes.

Im going to start to go from our sub-gauge course to the MAN course, and there's a big difference.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Since your stating "Masterclass" I'll presume we're discussing sporting clays.

My sporting guns are my field guns and POI on them is 11". Chokes I don't concern myself with much, something between .012-.025.

If I shoot something of mine that's tubed, Wrights or Briley.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If you're shooting 27yd trap with a flat shooter you certainly don't want anything else for sporting clays. Try it for yourself. I bet it won't take more than a round of 100 targets with a 70/30 gun to convince you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I shoot a 50/50 gun in both sporting and trap pretty well. It is whatever the computer in your head gets used to. 90% of the misses in Sporting clays are either over or behind. Fact.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Mine shoots right where I look, especially when I hold it upside down and shoot it over my head.

I miss on occasion.

I use the type of choke that fits in the gun, but at short range I go naked threads.

I recommend 120% high P.O.I. to my competition.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm a master class shooter at his club and I would certainly tell him if he'd come out in the cold! I guess the lion is better suited to arid climes.

Anyhooo the sporting gun shoots flat....flat as a pancake...gotta be! IMHO you can mess with POI in the trap game.....YOU DO NOT WANT TO MESS WITH POI in the sporting game....can't imagine trying to accommodate with all the crossers, teal and most importantly RABBITS...you'll be aiming at the ground for goodness sakes! Gun has got to shoot where you look...period...not high, not low...where you look.

My gun is fixed choke 15/20. For the tournament this past weekend at the club I shot the Jam-o-matic due to weather concerns...pgun no like water..... And shot Mod (green band) the entire course....that was fine....more than enough..and you'll be hard pressed to find shoots that throw longer targets than the Comp course at Northbrook.....i'm just sayin.

·
Registered
15,888 Posts
50/50 is ideal. SK/IC for some. LM/M for most. IM/F for some.

·
Registered
163 Posts
as some one who shoots and teaches sporting clay shooting i feel 50/50 is best for me. if you are used to a gun that shoots high then because you are used it then thats ok. jack concannon captain 2014 team usa super vet.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks gents. Entire reason I'm asking is because I saw the Bobby perfect five stand DVD and his gun shoots hi like Ruck said.

I'm going to stick to 6040 pattern and move onto the red course at Northbrook. For those of you that have not shot it, its no joke. Hence another reason why I'm asking the top shooters

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
I am also a Sporting Clays shooter and Instructor, shoot a 60/40 gun.

I like to float the target, and with Low Rib 32" (tubed) and 34" barrels, shoot the same gun for everything. I typically use LM/LM, hardens up a soft course a little, enough choke for the big course.

Good to hear from you again, Jack. Shot and set targets with you at the Promatic training class hosted by Roger Gascoigne a couple of years ago, I was the old guy from TN.

·
Registered
624 Posts
60/40 or 70/30. Less chance of me loosing sight of the bird because of the barrel. I think that's why many people raise their head or "peek"
LM and M. close cyc, far LF.
1 1/8 of 7 1/2's 1250fps. Isis make them tolerable. I practice with 1oz at 1200.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts