Trapshooters Forum banner

Masking Tape Residue Removal

3475 Views 27 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Jr720
I am working on a stock for a Model 12 project I have going and I masked of the checkering during the finishing process.
When I pulled the tape off it, it left behind some glue residue in the checkering.
Any suggestions on how to remove it?
Thanks
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4,109 Posts
I am working on a stock for a Model 12 project I have going and I masked of the checkering during the finishing process.
When I pulled the tape off it, it left behind some glue residue in the checkering.
Any suggestions on how to remove it?
Thanks
Try a tooth pick to pick it off or just have the checkering refreshed. It might be a pain to do, but it will be a reminder not to use masking tape on a firearm. No good can come from it.

· Premium Member
15,903 Posts
A word of caution here - a lot of stocks receive no finish on the areas of checkering.

A toothbrush will be your friend here. I'd stay away from any oil based solvent...

Try solvents (many have been mentioned), but verify that 1) it doesn't hurt the finish and 2) that it doesn't absorb into the wood as an oil.

· Registered
2,766 Posts
Paint thinner and a tooth brush. Blot a paper towel after rubbing with a tooth brush. Paint thinner evaporates rather quickly, but will cut into the adhesive just enough to remove before it sticks to the checkering again.

Then put a thinned coat of True-oil into the checkering, and let it soak in. Wipe off any excess on the finish outside the checkering. Give it a day to dry. I do it all the time when refinishing.

· Registered
6,148 Posts
Never use masking tape for this type of a project. Use painters tape instead. You can readily identify painters tape as it is colored blue.

I've successfully used it many time with gun stock projects.

As already stated, I would use Goo Gone. It's an excellent solvent and won't affect the finish of your gun.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.