Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Marlin makes excellent LA rifles, Henry has smoother action.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
What is wrong with a Winchester?

Reactions: smokestick682's

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If you want a new gun and do not expect to scope it, go with the Henry. It's the best made new 30-30 LA in America today. If you plan on scoping the gun, I'd look for a pre 1980 Marlin in 30-30. If you can find one from the 1930s that's even better. Well made, quick handling and slick as snail snot and you can scope it as your eyes fade over the years. If you want a light quick gun and you never plan to scope it one can't go wrong with a pre-1964 Win M94

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
I sure second the Winchester, it is just a perfect 30-30.
You can find a older one in real good shape without a whole lot of looking.
If you are set on the 2 choices you listed I would go with theMarlin 336.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
IMO the Marlin 336, especially the older ones, is the better rifle. The design allows you to easily mount a scope low and directly over the bore, especially with the Leupold one piece mount. A 336 is quickly disassembled for cleaning. Remove the lever via removing a single screw, slide the bolt completely out and remove the ejector. You can then use a cleaning rod equipped with a brush or a patch from the breech away from the mouth of the barrel. I have discovered that Stony Point made a bore guide that would fit a 336 receiver. Reassembly is very easy and can be done is a few minutes. Simply replace the ejector into its place in the receiver, insert the bolt, insert the lever into the bolt and replace the lever screw. All parts are steel and rugged. The 336 is IMO the most easy lever gun to thoroughly clean.

I prefer the .35 Remington over the 30-30 Winchester but they are both excellent under 150 yard deer cartridges. Using the Hornady flexible tip ammunition, the trajectory and retained energy of the .35 and 30-30 are both significantly improved.

I have owned 4 different 336's in .35 Remington and each would shoot 1 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I gave two of them away to family members and still have the other two. Each wears a Leupold VariX II 2x7 scope and has taken at least an 8 point buck.

I have a 336 RC (Regular Carbine) made in 1968 that will put the first shot, cold bore, dead center at 100 yards to start its 5 shot group. As a 336 warms up, the group starts to open up. They are not target rifles but, cold bore, they are spot on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have never shot a Henry 30/30. Shoulder the Henry first if is any thing like the 22 golden boy I have to lift my head off the stock to see the sights . Too much drop in the stock.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have never shot a Henry 30/30. Shoulder the Henry first if is any thing like the 22 golden boy I have to lift my head off the stock to see the sights . Too much drop in the stock.
I agree with happyshooter. The Henry Golden Boy 22 rifles I have looked at, the stock is WAY to low. When I put my head on the stock my eye is about two inches below the barrel, I can't even see the sights until I lift my head way up off the stock.

I wouldn't even think of buying a Henry rifle unless I checked it for fit first.

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
I have 5 Marlins in various calibers, but I do like the way the tube magazine loads on a Henry, my old thumbs get sore stuffing rounds in the side of the Marlins, but I have also lost the tube "stuffer" on other guns and didn't notice it until too late

·
Administrator
8,525 Posts
I have used Marlin lever guns since I was 12 years old and still have the original 336 that my dad bought me for my 12th birthday:) My current is a 336 in .35 rem. with a 3x9 trijicon on top. dandyrandy I agree the .35 rem gets it done just fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts