Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy an older Marlin 39A for the same price as a new Henry..I want a lever action, and will be using it for plinking and dispatching chipmunks, don't need a paper puncher.

I'm leaning toward the Marlin....Your thoughts???Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
You can always get another Henry but the chances of another 39A is slim.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a M39 with the octagon barrel. It's a very nice, well made .22 rifle for all but target shooting. I'd say go for the Marlin. -Ed

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I have had several Marlins. I now have two Henrys and also bought my grandson one. The Henry has an action like a fine watch. No comparison in my opinion

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I am a huge fan of the Marlin 39. The older 39A is as good of a shooter as you will find bar none. The Henry is a decent rifle too but just not what that older 39A is. Get the Marlin and if you don't agree, I will buy it from you for the price of a new Henry.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Think about the resale value the day after purchase. Think about the resale value 5 years after the purchase. Which rifle will tend to retain its value and/or appreciate?

Either rifle will meet your requirements for accuracy. I think chip monks are kind of cute but to each his own.

I really like my Marlin 39AS that I bought new in the mid 1990's for about $300. It has a nice walnut stock and cut checkering, a 24" barrel, deep bluing and an excellent wood to metal fit. The added safety is not a problem. With Wolf match Target ammo, it shoots one hole groups at 50 yards. It has a wonderful full size feel and heft like my 1968 .35 Remington Marlin 336 RC.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I'd go with the Marlin.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Both great guns I'm a big fan of lever actions I prefer the older marlins accuracy is second to none I also have several older browning bl 22's I love the short lever throw.

Good luck with your choice

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Can't speak for the Henry but I have a 39A. It is very accurate and is my favorite .22 rifle.

Just ask my friend here....

·
Molon Labe
11,992 Posts
I would go with the Marlin too, but I have never shot a Henry, I am sure they are fine rifles too

The first rifle I ever bought was a 39A,paid $79 for it new still have it but my bros beat the piss out of it when I was gone in the USAF, but it might be ugly but still is accurate,
I also have a 39 Century LTD it was the centennial model that the same bros shot while I was in the USAF, I had kept it hid from them as I wanted to keep it unfired but so much for that, but at least they didn't tear it up too bad

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
The older Marlins are classics and set the standard for lever action 22s. There's a very good reason that the same basic design was produced for over a century. The Mountie (carbine) version draws a premium.

-Gary

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Marlin 39A was made in 1950 and left to me several years when an uncle passed away and no one else wanted it. It has the old Ballard rifling rather than the newer Micro Groove rifling. The deeper cut Ballard rifling took much longer to produce and results in very good accuracy using lead bullets. Most .22 rounds I shoot are lead and not jacketed. I was told by a couple Marlin shooters recently that the value of mine is somewhere around $650, but I have no intention of selling.

·
Administrator
8,523 Posts
My dad has had a Marlin 39A that I have shot a lot since I was a young boy and Im now 47.My dad and I collect various Marlins and have to say especially the older ones are fantastic.George in MT.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
A question for you guys that are all in for the Marlin, Have any of you used the Henry model he is asking about?

I know plenty about 39s and I know they are fine rifles but only one person compared the two and he likes the Henry.

Mr. Ward, tell us more regarding the 39 you baught for $300 in the mid 1900s Lotta cash in that era

1 - 20 of 33 Posts