Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for an inexpensive .22 LR bolt action rifle and came across a nice Marlin 25N. I can get it for $100.00. Has anyone owned this rifle and have you been pleased with it? Also the barrel is marked .22lr but I've heard that I can shoot ANY .22 (short, long, cb) with it in a single shot mode, is this true? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,674 Posts
I have both the 25N and 25MN (22 mag).

I put synthetic stocks on both and simple scopes (i.e., cheap) both shoot very well.

I've never had any problems with either one.

Mags can be tough to find (especially for the 22 mag), but I've built up a collection of them - even some 10 rounders.

The 22 LR shoots anything I feed it.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I picked one up a while back for a young guy I was teaching to shoot. Very good value and it shot minute of a ground squirrel out to 100 yards.

This gun will shoot .22 shorts or .22 LR and will feed either through the magazine. .22 longs are more or less obsolete but I suppose they would work too.

Speaking of magazines, be sure to get an extra one or two, they have a way of getting misplaced. (lesson learned the hard way)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. It seems like a well made rifle for the price. Any idea when marlin made them?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Fib......I think they still make them. 100 bucks is a great price and they shoot really well......can't go wrong with the Marlin 22's......Uncle Sam, Pa.

·
Registered
834 Posts
My Dad bought me one for Christmas when I was a kid. Great rifle. You may remember that gun sale Uncle Sam. I now have a model 917v 17hmr Marlin. About the same gun. Very good rifles.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
I've had one for years. Solid, safe training rifle for kids but the out-of-the-box trigger isn't great.

-Gary

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
My kids both trained with an old Marlin 25Y. This is the shorter stocked, shorter barreled, single shot version. Iron sights for indoor range, 4x scope for field use. Trigger isn't the best, but the gun is surprisingly accurate for what it is. Here's a pic of my daughter Heather with the Marlin on a gray digger trip.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a 25N, it has been a dandy shooter. the trigger can safely be lightened by changing a spring.

I also have a 925, which is the version that replaced the 25N, it has been nice too.

There is a way to age Marlins based on serial number coding.

You can probably find how that works at rimfirecentral.com along with a wealth of information.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought one years ago and it is probably the most accurate 22 I own. Shoots very well w/ the Simmons Scope I have on it. Good gun at a good price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.