Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some bushings that I bought from a fella that he had marked the size on with some kind of marker. It appears to be some kind of ink but seems to stay on very well. I have a complete set of PW bushings that I would like to mark the size on as well as several Hornady bushings that have very small stamps. Any body have any idea what he might have used to mark these or what to use. Don't want something that will rub off and don't want to use paint.

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
I have some bushings that I bought from a fella that he had marked the size on with some kind of marker. It appears to be some kind of ink but seems to stay on very well. I have a complete set of PW bushings that I would like to mark the size on as well as several Hornady bushings that have very small stamps. Any body have any idea what he might have used to mark these or what to use. Don't want something that will rub off and don't want to use paint.
They'll write on about anything but liquid. Seem to last better than Sharpie or Flair. Anywhere that sale Milwaukee tools should have them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,929 Posts
I think the PW bushings are some kind of black anodized aluminum so you would need something white. I have had good results marking my Hornady bushings with a fine-tipped black sharpie. Maybe Sharpie makes a white marker. I mark mine both on the one end and the side.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
I think the PW bushings are some kind of black anodized aluminum so you would need something white. I have had good results marking my Hornady bushings with a fine-tipped black sharpie. Maybe Sharpie makes a white marker. I mark mine both on the one end and the side.
I know sharpie makes a silver one. That would work on black.

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
The PW powder bushings I have are similar to color of Pacific bushings. A slightly darker grey.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My PW bushings are aluminium, same as Hornady. As smithy said, the shot bushings are blued steel. I tried the sharpy and it rubbed off fairly easily. Maybe I had the wrong one. Ordered the Milwaukee one. Will try it. I liked the idea about marking the shot bushings with a dremel. Thanks to all that replied.

·
Registered
32,284 Posts
An electric engraving or inscribing pen works best. One day I was checking the measurement on a bushing and found it did not match what was stamped on the bushing. I was getting a throw way different that the chart said it should be. Since then, I have measured all bushings several times and when I found some which differed from the stamp, I inscribed on the top, both the factory mark and my measurement. Did the same thing with shot bushings, inscribe the measurement and the shot size it is marked with.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Make sure to wipe any oils off with alcohol (if you can find any). Then try the permanent marker again. I installed an oil cooler in a radiator tank . Many years later I disassembled the Radiator and my writing was still there.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to mark the size on the PW bushings. I have found that the Hornady bushings match the charts pretty close. The PW bushings are usually way off.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Havn't tried 700x. Green dot, longshot, Clay's international all seem to be off a couple sizes from what chart says.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
I haven't had a problem with 700x. Is the problem the powder
Steve,
How are you determining this?
Load data for 1 1/8th oz in Remington Hull, with Win. 209 Primer and Figure 8 wad calls for an 18.0 gr. powder drop with 700X to attain 1200 fps.
PW bushing chart says, the I bushing drops 17.9 of 700X, which it does not. As a matter of fact, neither does the J bushing and the PW bushing charts says 18.3gr.
Are you weighing your drops, or just assuming they're correct?
MG

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Steve,
How are you determining this?
Load data for 1 1/8th oz in Remington Hull, with Win. 209 Primer and Figure 8 wad calls for an 18.0 gr. powder drop with 700X to attain 1200 fps.
PW bushing chart says, the I bushing drops 17.9 of 700X, which it does not. As a matter of fact, neither does the J bushing and the PW bushing charts says 18.3gr.
Are you weighing your drops, or just assuming they're correct?
MG
I am weighing my powder drops
Thanks for asking

1 - 20 of 31 Posts