Trapshooters Forum banner

Manufacturers Say Ammo Shortage Will Stretch Out for Years

13787 Views 91 Replies 55 Participants Last post by  Fred Flintstone
Manufacturers Say Ammo Shortage Will Stretch Out for Years.

https://thereload.com/manufacturers...Krin1oSpsC0U0GEkdl9sbrA8qGZfLYNL7G6mlqztwUNgQ
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

· Registered
36,909 Posts
Which will be exacerbated because people will read this stuff and continue to hoard and panic purchase as well as scalpers who will buy whatever they can and sell it for even more marked up prices at gun shows.

· Registered
8,720 Posts
Great sales strategy. Creating extra continuous demand for 2.5 years.
They must being worried what to do once this hoarding trend ended.

Once in awhile ammo mfg can get shooters by the ball, there's no reason to ease it while they can. They must hate coupons, and promotions like every other mfg.

Only few years ago, a box of 9x19mm FMJ went from $29.99 to $9.99 in just six month and shelfs are full because everyone had more than they can count.
I'm not saying it'll be $9.99 again anytime soon, but if they keep making them as much as they can (as they said), sooner or later, it'll be on sale.

· Registered
948 Posts
Look at Olin and Vista stock. If you got in a year ago you would have made a million. Some of this is to keep the stock price high and attract investors.

Like most new hobbies, people are gung ho at first and fizzle out once they see the time, money and skill it takes to get good. I know more people that started and quit shooting than those who kept at it for more than a year. Plenty of people buy a handgun, shoot it a few times and put it in the drawer, and never go to the range (or buy a gun and never fire it).

· Registered
695 Posts
I for one am getting a little bit tired of this. Perhaps we are seeing a new American business model:
1. Cut back on production.
2. Create a shortage to stimulate panic buying and hoarding.
3. Raise prices significantly, eliminate rebates.
4. Increase production in small increments to keep price up
5.Issue press releases about how the shortage is being managed.
BS!!!
Think about it:
Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, Remington Primers, Clorox Wipes, Gasoline, Lumber, Ammunition
I have shot Remington and Winchester shells for years, screw- em, I'm not sure I will go back when they come on line. I think the European manufacturers have an opportunity to gain market share.

· Registered
868 Posts
European shells are all I have able to buy. I don’t scour Walmart’s so I have not had a chance to buy American. It seems to me if my gunclub can get euro shells they should be able to buy domestic as well. I’ve heard the container ships have been parked off both coasts waiting to unload and in spite of this Euro shells make it to our little club. The videos made earlier this year by Vista ring a bit hollow now

· Registered
7,255 Posts
Skkert_man said it. Retailers and distributors keep putting in back orders. Months and years worth. The first back order that they get that doesn’t move fast enough they will start thinking about cancelling back orders, and suddenly 2 years of back orders becomes 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jmreiser

· Registered
1,299 Posts
The problem is that European manufactured shotgun shell are just as expensive as north american manufactured ammunition and sometime more expensive, at least here in Canada, we have 2 Canadian manufacturers of shotgun ammunition and the price is rising also, due to the fact that the raw materials are rising.
It's sort of like the smokers I know that said they would quit when a pack of smokes hit $5 and here they are paying $20 and still puffing away, we always find the money to do what we want to do, I don't smoke or drink and i'll be dammed if i'm going to quit shooting.

· Registered
15,243 Posts
Skkert_man said it. Retailers and distributors keep putting in back orders. Months and years worth. The first back order that they get that doesn’t move fast enough they will start thinking about cancelling back orders, and suddenly 2 years of back orders becomes 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That and you will see dealers putting in backorders with 4, 5, 6 manufacturers/distributors, when in reality they only want or have the $ for one order. Once the first one is filled they plan on canceling all the others.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.