Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent 1 week in Northern Portugal at Manuel Ricardo's workshop this past March and I can say it was an incredible experience! Wonderful team of folks working under the watchful eye of Mr. Ricardo. I was surprised to find out that the only, and I mean only time they use a computer guided machine on the stock is for the initial inletting....everything else is completed by hand, one step at a time. If you are thinking of a new gunstock, this is a fantastic outfit to consider.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Nice report, thank you.
If you ever watched how Perazzi makes your stock by their CNC machine, you'll see there's nothing wrong, and no reason not to take advantage of modern technology, then hand finishes it.
It's the last couple thousands of inch that matters to our eyes.
"Hand made" is still important, but there's no advantage to cut and file the wood blanks from scratch. And pay for it.

BTW, You forgot one important part of the story,
With travel expenses included, it's still lot cheaper than getting one done here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice report, thank you.
If you ever watched how Perazzi makes your stock by their CNC machine, you'll see there's nothing wrong, and no reason not to take advantage of modern technology, then hand finishes it.
It's the last couple thousands of inch that matters to our eyes.
"Hand made" is still important, but there's no advantage to cut and file the wood blanks from scratch. And pay for it.

BTW, You forgot one important part of the story,
With travel expenses included, it's still lot cheaper than getting one done here.
I like traveling to Europe, and not only was it a first rate experience, but I got a nice week off from work, while doing what I love. To each their own.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

How was the process of takIng your gun to Portugal and back?

Chet h
When you make an appointment for a fitting, Joao the general manager sorts all the paperwork for entry into Portugal for you.
Before your trip, you just have to go yo your local CBP office and fill out the Customs 4507 form. (Don't forget to bring your gun, itinerary and passport).

Some word of advice when planning your trip:
Fly into Porto International Airport, they see many shotguns come thru, so coming in and leaving from Porto is not a big hassle. Also, they will pick you up and transfer you to Sao Felix, a very nicely appointed hotel less than 5 minutes from the workshop and shooting range. They will also take you back and forth between the range and the hotel.
Plan on spending at least 5 days, so you can take advantage of shooting extensively your new stock and making tweaks to it as needed, and shoot until you feel 100% connected with the new stock. There is no extra charge for as many adjustments as you see fit (I shot over 30 rounds of bunker over the course of the week, and it was fantastic! No surprises when I arrived back home!)

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks, I have been traveling to Portugal for business, at least I did before Covid, and plan to be there this fall. Porto is our favorite city there.

chet h

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for your post. I almost ordered one (remotely) but decided not to. I think the trip is probably the best way to go about it.

how did he go about working on the grip? slowly work it down while you shot it? hand measurments?

thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your post. I almost ordered one (remotely) but decided not to. I think the trip is probably the best way to go about it.

how did he go about working on the grip? slowly work it down while you shot it? hand measurments?

thanks.
He starts out by having you mount repeatedly, he is looking for a pattern, then he begins to slowly carve the grip little by little, he says...go shoot, come back, and go shoot some more, and come back. He will work with you until it feels perfect, doesn't matter if it's on day 2 or day 7!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Lots of great reviews and videos on this product. From what I’ve gathered, the shooter sends in actual or desired dimensions (per the data form) and hand tracing.
My question is do you get what you ask for, or does he take everything into consideration and give you the stock you ‘need’??
V/r
Maxey

1 - 20 of 27 Posts