Trapshooters Forum banner

Making your own lead shot....anyone tried it?

2505 20
I’ve been watching videos of people making their own shot. Is this a worthwhile venture assuming the proper safeguards are taken health wise ie, respirator, gloves etc?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,532 Posts
I have looked into it but have never made my own. First thing you have to do is have a good source of lead.
Its not like it was years ago when every gas station and auto shop had buckets of lead wheel weights laying around. I thought about it but could not find a a good source of cheap lead. The rest of the process is lots of work.

· Registered
1,186 Posts
Used to. This has been hashed out 10 times on here so I'll give you the short version.

If you don't have an extremely cheap or free source of quality hard lead scrap, it isn't worth your time, initial investment, and exposure to the smelting process. I was given thousands of pounds of beautiful hard lead and once I had to start paying for scrap lead it was no longer worth the effort. I sold everything.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Used to. This has been hashed out 10 times on here so I'll give you the short version.

If you don't have an extremely cheap or free source of quality hard lead scrap, it isn't worth your time, initial investment, and exposure to the smelting process. I was given thousands of pounds of beautiful hard lead and once I had to start paying for scrap lead it was no longer worth the effort. I sold everything.
Plus which if you sell the property where you did the shot melting/dripping and somebody asks if lead was used it gets expensive to clean up. Even if you think it’s clean. Chemical tests will reveal lead.

· Registered
36,815 Posts
I’ve been watching videos of people making their own shot. Is this a worthwhile venture assuming the proper safeguards are taken health wise ie, respirator, gloves etc?
If you check out “Recommended Reading“ at the bottom of this page, you will see many threads about shot making that might help you.

· Premium Member
8,260 Posts
For quite a number of years I made my own sinkers and jig heads. I accumulated leas all the time in significant amounts.

I think that I entertained the idea of making shot once. I quickly got over the thought! I had several sources to sell the scrap lead to. I could easily find ways to be more monetarily productive with my time.

· Registered
263 Posts
I’ve been doing it for years.probably the last 10 to 12. When the kids were shooting for the junior program and the wife shooting too. It just got to costly to buy shot when the price started to go up. 16,000 to 18,000 rounds add up very quickly. When I started I had a very good source of lead and a stockpile in storage. Now sources are going away.
But to the issue. It takes me about 5 hours of time to take a 5 gallon pail of lead from start to something you can shoot. When the machines are running good. It can make about 90 lbs an hour. When it does run good! It’s a pain in the you know what. Source of lead is critical. And time. Two major components. Good luck and would share my experience with anyone. I got help with my start program from a friends dad. Helped me a ton.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve been doing it for years.probably the last 10 to 12. When the kids were shooting for the junior program and the wife shooting too. It just got to costly to buy shot when the price started to go up. 16,000 to 18,000 rounds add up very quickly. When I started I had a very good source of lead and a stockpile in storage. Now sources are going away.
But to the issue. It takes me about 5 hours of time to take a 5 gallon pail of lead from start to something you can shoot. When the machines are running good. It can make about 90 lbs an hour. When it does run good! It’s a pain in the you know what. Source of lead is critical. And time. Two major components. Good luck and would share my experience with anyone. I got help with my start program from a friends dad. Helped me a ton.
Hi Lumpy, thanks for the feedback. Can I ask which machine you’re using?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.