Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife moved down from a 32 inch bt-99 to a 30 inch micro now the lack of weight is really punishing her. I’m loading a 7/8 load 16 grains of clays.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,194 Posts
My wife moved down from a 32 inch bt-99 to a 30 inch micro now the lack of weight is really punishing her. I’m loading a 7/8 load 16 grains of clays.
Did you go down to reduce weight? You can add weight to the stock and forend. Otherwise, as someone has already said... PFS. Or soft touch. Gracoils are ok for what they are. Rad is better if you don’t want to spring for the more expensive moving units.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gun was just to long lop and barrel I’m going to try adding around 7 oz to the butt stock to get the weight back close to the standard. I figure this might help a little. Does anyone have a experience with mercury recoil reducers from what I’ve always heard it’s mostly the weight that helps recoil so lead would do the same thing.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The gun was just to long lop and barrel I’m going to try adding around 7 oz to the butt stock to get the weight back close to the standard. I figure this might help a little. Does anyone have a experience with mercury recoil reducers from what I’ve always heard it’s mostly the weight that helps recoil so lead would do the same thing.
Yes it is mainly the weight that makes the difference.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
31,642 Posts
Have you determined if the gun stock is right for your wife? Does it have cast on or cast off or neutral? If the stock is cast wrong or wrong pitch for the shooter this will aggravate the felt recoil.

·
Registered
562 Posts
PFS
Recoil reduction and Fit

Also, once she moves on to a different gun the PFS can be sold or as long as a grip is available moved to the new gun

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
If you are loading that light ,and the gun is still hurting her there is almost certainly a gun fit problem. I would also suggest an recoil reduction system of some kind but ,your best money will be spent of a professional gun fitter.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My wife had a Clyde Slide on her BT-99 that did a great job of soaking up the recoil. Tullys now sells the Slick Slide (Tully's Gunsmithing). My wife also had a PFS on her 725 and hated it. The PFS added too much weight and the customer service was terrible when we had issues. I must admit the PFS looked great, its fit on the other hand was horrible.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Spanishhammer have you used this?If so how much better is it than a kickezz pad?Is it worth the money?Thanks Hinch
Yes, I have one and was able to test it out. Yes better than a kickeez in the recoil department, but it is not in as many shape/curve options ...might not be everyone's cup of tea but worth a look imo. Worth the money when you consider the cost of getting a pad fitted by a gunsmisth, they have a ton of patterns already but if you need something specific you can measure and they will be able to find one that fits your stock.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My 75 year old bride of 53 years shoots a BT-99 Mirco. She also shoots a Browning O/U 26" barrel light weight [ forget the name ] for skeet or SCs. She won't shoot a heavy gun. I also reload 3/4 for everything except trap and 7/8oz 12ga shells for trap, so recoil isn't a problem. She has shot a number of 25s at skeet and should have in trap, so the lighter shells aren't a problem. Because of physical problems she doesn't stand with the weight on the front foot so maybe that's why she places her head over on the stock and way back toward the butt. When I try to correct her mount I get a " if I want help I'll ask for it !!!". Me and the guys will sit in the club house watching her shoot her usual 22 or 23, laughing because at 110#s shooting so flat footed, she looks like a bobble doll. When someone ask about the recoil she says "what recoil" ? Don't ask me, I've learned to go with the flow. If she's happy, I'm happy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
There has to be something going on with the way the gun fits your wife. If it is hurting her with the light loads you are loading, the shorter stock has probably altered the way she mounts the gun. I would try adding the weight, but would also really look at the pitch of the stock. It might have the same pitch as the original BT-99 but the way she mounts it could change the fit. Make sure the pad is solid against the shoulder (not gapped at top especially). If any gap at the top change the pitch of the gun you can adjust this by inserting washers between the pad and the stock at the top screw to try the effect. Even if you decide to add a recoil system or softer pad, corrections to fit before hand will only enhance the their effect.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts