Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here make their own overshot cards? I'm trying to find out what to use to make the cutouts besides scissors.

·
Registered
21,605 Posts
Does anyone here make their own overshot cards? I'm trying to find out what to use to make the cutouts besides scissors.
Hole punch. Save the hole.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Either buy them ready made(ballistic prod),or try the black powder suppliers like Buffalo Shooting supply for a wad punch.

·
Registered
31,777 Posts
I use an apple corer to make spacers out of foam meat trays for 7/8 oz loads. It punches out a disk the same size as a 20ga wad. It costs less than 10 bucks.

5354AE38-3442-4E20-AB4A-BBB4C77094C3.jpeg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Arch punch in drill press. 5/8 is good for under shot, and will fit in most shot cups for stack heights. 3/4 for over shot cup. Use a nylon cutting board.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It's original purpose was to keep the shot from falling out when roll crimping was the industry standard. Some people use them to help correct stack height in modern shells.

gaep.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have made my own out of different sizes of copper pipe and sharpen it on a belt sander or a piece of conduit sharpened. I use foam meat trays or shot shell boxes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update! I bought a .50 hole punch for $6 and it works great for 20 gauge, still toying with the 28 gauge brass with a bolt through it

·
Registered
533 Posts
That little tool of mine works great. I watched some diy YouTube videos to come up with it.
I don’t use it anymore, or the 20 ga. roll crimper I bought because I don’t fret over short shells for my old Ithaca Flues anymore.
Now I load ordinary AA 20 with 3/4 ounce of shot and just enough powder to reach 1150fps.
The pressure rise is only 500 psi even with factory ammo. I believe the reduced payload keeps my gun safe to shoot.
My 20 gauge empties don’t measure up to 2 3/4” anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts