Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to make 9 shot, but run into a few hangups. Running straight wheel weight, temp at 630, lead height in ladle is 1/4" above top of nozzle nut. Nozzle oriface size is .018. My problem is shot comes out as 8 shot diameter and quite a bit is shaped like footballs. I have been told to raise the lead level in ladle to as high as possible, raise lead temperature closer to 700 degrees, and cut the underside of ladle lip to get the coolant level as high as possible. Does this sound right? Any other tips?

· Registered
36,930 Posts
When I was making shot, I had the lip as close to the fluid level as I could. Manufacturer said no more than 1/4 inch distance, I tried to make it less. Problem is ladle does not stay hot if touching coolant and coolant level rises as shot accumulates in bottom of tank. You can have a spillway with a catch container to fix that problem.

Keep lip of ladle lubricated with soapstone. Faster shot cleared the ladle better it turned out.

I used ordinary liquid soap, but quit when it got over 100 degrees. When the coolant got warm shot became irregular.

I found a two foot can to drop the shot in. More liquid, took longer to heat up, longer drop though the coolant seemed to help.

Others here have been at it longer than I, they should have an answer. What shotmaker do you have? Is it a 110-120volt?

· Registered
212 Posts
I have slight variances in my process. I get the coolant as close to the ramp as possible. Normally 1/8". I target 625 degrees on the lead but 630 should be fine.
The football shape is a coolant that is to thick. What coolant are you using? The best I have ever used is Sierra antifreeze by far. I keep coolant well under 120 degrees with a cooling system. 120 would be my maximum before I stop dropping, that typically never happens running the cooler. I run a full ladle, normally 1/4" from the top of the ladle. This increases head pressure on the drippers.
Lastly I would recommend that you double check the hole size in the drippers. Very odd that you are getting bigger shot out of a smaller hole.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
I have been trying to make 9 shot, but run into a few hangups. Running straight wheel weight, temp at 630, lead height in ladle is 1/4" above top of nozzle nut. Nozzle oriface size is .018. My problem is shot comes out as 8 shot diameter and quite a bit is shaped like footballs. I have been told to raise the lead level in ladle to as high as possible, raise lead temperature closer to 700 degrees, and cut the underside of ladle lip to get the coolant level as high as possible. Does this sound right? Any other tips?
Quite the opposite, I think you have to much lead in the ladle which creates to much pressure on the drippers. Also, lower your lip as close as you can possibly get to your coolant and keep your pot level, zero angle. 650 deg. is pretty perfect. Not to sure about .018 drippers, I use .20's for # 9's.
Best of luck

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like I get to experiment. Temperature seems to be a consensus that I am correct on that. I have my pot level. Dropping into fabric softener. I start with fabric softener at 80 degrees and then keep it between 100-110 degrees. I will do some adjustment on the lip to get closer to the coolant. I have an oasis. I feed it from a magma pot, so lead temperature is not a problem.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
Sounds like I get to experiment. Temperature seems to be a consensus that I am correct on that. I have my pot level. Dropping into fabric softener. I start with fabric softener at 80 degrees and then keep it between 100-110 degrees. I will do some adjustment on the lip to get closer to the coolant. I have an oasis. I feed it from a magma pot, so lead temperature is not a problem.
If you want really round shot, I would recommend Ethylene Glycol - "Sierra Antifreeze"
I'm not sure what you mean, when you say lead temperature is NOT a problem. You must maintain at least 620 deg minimum and 660 maximum, in order to have really consistent shot. How is the Oasis pot temperature controlled and what is it?

· Registered
36,930 Posts
Might want to invest in a thermometer if you don’t have one, you can buy a laser thermometer might be close enough.

Reactions: mg1polo

· Banned
9,591 Posts
Ok, the Mag pot is way to hot. It should be only hot enough to flow into your ladle. The ladle pot should control your temp. I would use a digital temp probe in your smelt. Keep your lead between 635 & 655 deg for optimum drop.
If your oasis is 240 volt, install an infinity switch so you can dial your temp to perfect.
If your attempting to run 110 volt, you will never be happy. You will probably need to increase drippers to .020 once your Temps are correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.