Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm a big fan of wt rare breed but a friend of mine is trying to talk me down to mm 46. what are your opinions of the two? thanks

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Both are excellent sippin' whiskey. MM has a bit more of a smokey undertone, which I happen to like. Hard to go wrong with either...matter of fact I'm heading for the cabinet now...

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,397 Posts
I dont think it is very good but have friends that do- it isnt smooth as it should be

my opinion

Regards from Iowa

Gene

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Have you tried Gentlemans Jack by Jack Daniels? Not bad stuff. IMHO

Matt

·
Registered
364 Posts
I personally like all the Makers Mark products. I have also taken a liking to Scotchs and love the Macallan products. I like the idea of the single barrel, single malt, etc. Seems to be a challenge to the makers. Remember all the world is math or chemistry!

Courtney

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I really like both. As Bob Schultz stated, the Maker's Mark has more of a smokey taste. I love the Wild Turkey Rare Breed, but at 107.5 proof....it is easy to let it slip up on you. I prefer the Maker's almost everytime.

Matt

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Gridlock is right! Doc G is a gourmet while I have been partaking quite a bit of Kentucky Tavern at $15.99 for 1.75 liter(plastic bottle)! However, all Maker's is fine! I still want to try the single barrel Jack Daniels! Also, love the Knob Creek stuff that zoltan promotes! If you want to walk on the wild side, the Bushmill $100 fifth stuff (Irish whiskey) is unbelievable! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thumbs down and I live in KY.I like the regular much better. Much better options IMO. Get a chance, try Elijah Craig 18yr. You wont be sorry!

Dan

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you want a "good" Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey try Woodford Reserve. It usually runs in the low $40 range and you'll be hard pressed to find a better one at that price. Woodford’s Maple wood finish Reserve is superb.

Scotch is a different story altogether, single-malt is the only way to go in my opinion. They are too many to list. The sky is the limit price wise. Some of my favorites are the 17 and 25 year old Glenfarclas. Glengoynee’s “Scottish Oak” wood finish is very smooth. Just about any of the Murray McDavid limited releases are great. A 10-year old Lismore is a good single-malt that usually runs less than $20 a bottle.

I love scotch, straight up, but Woodfords is worth trying at least one, you won’t regret it.

Cheers,

Pat

·
Registered
319 Posts
Makers Mark is great. One of my good bud's refers to it as "Mother's Milk." I used to drink Rare Breed in my 20's (which was quite a long time ago) and as best as I can recall (very foggy) it was excellent...but way too strong for me these days. One of the guys at deer camp swears by Jim Beam "Black." We have conducted several blind tastings against many of the premium "small batch" bourbons including MM 46 and the JB Black won every time...and it costs a fraction of the price. I thought that was the end of the discussion until I heard about another blind tasting (at a very exclusive shooting club) where the least expensive bourbon beat all of the big $$$ stuff. I have been drinking it ever since. At $24 for 1.75 liters (in PA) it feels like I'm stealing. Oh yeah...it's Evan Williams "Black."

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have to say that I like almost all of the bourbon's listed above. However my absolute A#1 favorite it BOOKERS. But it will put you to bed early if you aren't careful...

·
Registered
319 Posts
As far as Scotch goes, I have tried them all and for the money J.W. Black is as good as it gets. I've had the Green, the Gold and the Blue (which is as close to sex in a bottle as it gets) but the Black is it. As far as single malts go, I think they are greatly over rated. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
MM is OK, but I second WinAA's opinion of Rebel Yell. It used to be difficult to buy it north of the Mason-Dixon. I had to smuggle it in.

LA

·
Registered
319 Posts
As far as Scotch goes, I have tried them all and for the money J.W. Black is as good as it gets. I've had the Green, the Gold and the Blue (which is as close to sex in a bottle as it gets) but the Black is it. As far as single malts go, I think they are greatly over rated. Just my humble opinion.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.