Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why not make the handicap event the first event in a typical 300 target program.

1) In Florida when its hot the clubs can use their umbrellas for singles & doubles during the hottest part of the day
2) singles targets really look huge after a round of handicaps

Make the typical shoot :

100-caps
100-singles
100-doubles

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Umbrellas????? You mean when you shoot on the 16 in Florida they provide shade for the shooters and protect them from the rain???? If thats what you mean, I am jealous!! Steve

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep Tom @ Robinson Ranch puts out umbrellas -they come down if the wind picks up

very simple -5 gal spackle pale put it a 1" piece of EMT & pour concrete to lock it in-put a 2 screw met connector on the end of the EMT, put a thumb screw on the top screw & install a small beach umbrella into the EMT--lay the pales down for caps

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
But what would be the effect on delaying the shooters? In the time you run three squads of shooters (15 total), but if run the same number of shooters but have to do it across five or six squads because of yardages differences you have just doubled the amount of time if takes to run the squads and also made the starting time for 16s much more difficult to predict. Most shooters start registered with 16s and might not progress to caps and/or doubles till they have some ATA experience. They may start at 9:30 or 10:00 or 10:30 or ??? after the caps are done. Will they wait around or will they just take off or maybe never even show? There are fewer Doubles shooters, at least around here, so the problem is lessened since most of them shoot caps anyway.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Clubs are free to through whatever program suits them.

Instead of trying to change how all clubs operate why don't you speak directly to the club(s) in question.

Th clubs I attend the light is always better late morning or early afternoon and that is when we like to shoot caps.

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
Why not make the handicap event the first event in a typical 300 target program.

1) In Florida when its hot the clubs can use their umbrellas for singles & doubles during the hottest part of the day
2) singles targets really look huge after a round of handicaps

Make the typical shoot :

100-caps
100-singles
100-doubles

Phil Berkowitz
Most shooters prefer the best visibility possible when shooting handicap to have the optimum chance. Obviously handicap shot first would project the least effective light of the day.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have shot at RR under the umbrellas. Thumbs up. Flagler has the umbrellas but are rarely used. Many, me included, dislike shooting HC with the buckets lying between shooter and trap. Marc

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
As I recall, handicap is the first event on the program of the Hegins Trap Club outside Hegins, Pennsylvania. No, this is NOT where the infamous pigeon shoots were held - that was about a half-mile away in the town park.

Ed

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
My best handicap scores have been shot when I either skip the singles, or it is the first event of the day.

I agree that it would be nice if the were first more often rather than in the heat of the day after you are tired and weary eyed.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I remember years ago at Salt City Gun Club in Hutchinson Ks where they threw the Dbls first then 16`s and hdcp last . Always had full squads on the 16`s that way .

·
Registered
366 Posts
Been seeing more programs with caps/singles/caps lately. No data in hand but the first event caps always seem to run lower scores across the board. I agree with pheasantmaster regarding the midday light being best used for caps. I always assumed thats why the events were usually ordered as is?

·
Sky Buster
4,167 Posts
Been seeing more programs with caps/singles/caps lately. No data in hand but the first event caps always seem to run lower scores across the board. I agree with pheasantmaster regarding the midday light being best used for caps. I always assumed thats why the events were usually ordered as is?
I don't shoot cap's. Singles only. I won't wait around until cap's are finished.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
A program with caps-singles-caps to me is a poorly thought out program. A shooter can end up earning yardage and be forced to re-squad for the 2nd hcp event, not to mention the possibility of being in shootoffs from two different yardages. Move-ups can not be determined until the last squad is in, and there are some clubs that have a hard time getting the info out in a timely manner. On the other hand it offers the shooter the option of shooting one or the other, which would cost the club 50% of it's shooters for one or the other, which I bet is not the intended purpose.... (targets in the air, money in the bank)

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Move the start time for event #1 (Doubles) up an hour. Tell all your doubles shooters to plan on being there "early". Start the following events when the preceding events go to the last trap. Council the shooters to keep them from choosing overlapping squads. It keeps the trap help from disappearing between events and reduces delays. If you want to run off your doubles shooters, schedule them last. Have a cash prize for HOA. Promote the sport. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Everybody has their favorite line up I guess. I dislike shooting singles for the most part and only shoot them if I in a hurry or some other reason. If I could run how the game is played ,They wouldn't even exist! I would love to see Handicap first, then Doubles then singles LAST. or Doubles First, then Handicap and singles LAST. Sure don't like the idea that you have to shoot at least 500 singles in order to be eligible for a review /reduction on your Handicap and YES it's in the rule book! (hid on the bottom of pg. 65). Singles are mostly a waste of time.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Lights normally bad first thing in the morning making it tuff to see long yardage targets, I think that's why most clubs start with closer easier to see singles.

Surfer

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Singles & doubles are average driven--if you care about what class you want to be in--then light conditions are important.

Now that the punch for competition has been lower to 15 contestants, lighting isn't all that important because everyone is still shooting under the same conditions.

This is why I would like to see caps first and in big shoots it really doesn't matter-- late squads in singles can shoot close to lunch

Phil Berkowitz

1 - 20 of 38 Posts