Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

The photos below are of a stock that was machined by a gun manufacturer. The wood was provided by the customer and it broke before the gun was finished. The manufacturer attempted to make a repair but the repair would have never worked. The stock was sent back to the owner minus the ear that was broken off and next the customer stopped by our shop to see if it could be repaired. I should not have done this but I have never been able to back away from a challenge when someone tells me it just can't be done. The Crew and myself sat down as a team to look at the damage and we decided that a repair could be made. A piece of wood was located that was a grain match and a new section was added. So my hat is off to the crew again for showing me that all things are possible if you have the proper tools and work as a team. Thank you to all that take a look. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Dennis, Cindy & The Crew

The stock as we received it

New stock after the repair

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Must have been on a Krieghoff. :)

Unbelievable work. I wouldn't believe it had been repaired had you not shown the proof.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Pics 4 & 5 would make excellent home screen wallpaper. The grain in that wood is as unbelievable as the repair. Congrats.

Bob Falfa

·
Supporting Vendor
1,325 Posts
Dennis,

Nice dovetailing!! In picture #2 I clearly see the Playboy Rabbit symbol loud and clear. Is that some of your devlishness at work?

Regards,

Mike Mann

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
WOW I know where to go when I have the OH F#$% moment which is bound to happen sometime.

QUALITY!!!!!!

Brady

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To Mike Mann,

I am not sure where the wood came from as it was customer provided. The piece used in the repair came from your wood shed and I am glad that we had it here to use. We took the piece from a forend blank and I think it matched the stock really well. Thanks for the comments the crew will enjoy reading the reviews.

Dennis DeVault

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Dennis, I to have that Illness of Not Being Able to Say..It Can't Be Fixed..Just Wish ..I had a Talented Staff Like You..Great Work..Well Done!!

Alls Well That Ends Well. Best of The Holiday Seasons to All..Shoot Well..Shoot Often with Family and or Good Friends. Bart Reynolds

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Very gutsy you guys. Well done. I wonder if we will have people who have the will and brains to attempt these things in another generation.

·
Registered
393 Posts
very nice work highly figured wood is nice I think a lot of people have cool wood sitting around that they want to have a stock made from. some blanks are just not right for certain action types that piece would have been nice on an auto ted

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for the kind words. Back in the spring we had a stock that broke through the wrist on a piece of customer supplied wood and that gave me the idea for a new system to begin making all of our stocks with. I did a ton of research and it is not a new concept but one that another stock maker uses. All I did was try and improve on the system to strengthen the grip area on every stock that we now produce. With this new process I have confidence we can use wood that would break due to the bad grain flow and hopefully never have another broken stock again that comes out of our shop. So far we have taken several pieces of wood that had a bad grain layout and salvaged the wood and made it into a nice finished product. The photo of the stock below is from a K-80, the wood is Burl Pin Oak and when we got the wood I just laughed. It was so porous that it reminded us of a sponge. Our cad guy laid out an insert in the grip and ear portion and that stock has been on the gun for over three years now and not even a hint of the wood failing. Did we have to do this No but that is why the company Engineered Shooting Solutions is used with our name. I always strive to find another way to improve on our processing and keep our customers happy. Thank you all again and have a very Merry Christmas.

Dennis DeVault

1 - 20 of 25 Posts