Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Husky gas (2 stroke) leaf blower a month ago. Any ideas on how to maintain this while not in use? This is my first small 2 stroke engine.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Pick up a product called 'Stabil' - it is added to the fuel - in two different concentrations. One for normal use (keeps water etc. from building in the gas between uses), the other for long term storage.

Just follow the directions on the bottle.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
premium fuel and always use stabil additive all the time.

Absolutely stay away from 10% or any blended fuel,

Good luck

DGH

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
If you run the engine out of fuel you risk drying/cracking internal seals and diaphragms - the longer they are stored dry, the higher the probability of this occurring.

Stabil works fine - if you use 'good' gasoline - that means higher octane and staying away from fuel containing alcohol (Stabil does make a product aimed at the EtOH containing fuels)

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
All the above gave good advice. I have both a Stihl and Husky 2 stroke leaf blowers. I use 91octane gas and Stihl 2 stroke oil. I also add StaBil to the fuel in every tank year around. The Husky has been ticking along now for 4 1/2 years and the Stihl for 1 year. Not one issue with either.

For what it's worth, I can't tell the difference between either brand. They both perform great. The Husky always starts one pull less(3 pulls).

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
7 1/2 or 8's...

92,93,94 octane is a must. If you can find without ethanol then great, if not then use a chemical treatment. Straight Stabil does not treat ethanol.

I have ran multiple small engines out of fuel using stabil, specifically my Sthil weed eater that I bought in 1998. It smokes and chokes and then dies and finally starts each spring.

A fellow that is very knowledgeable and has started a very successful small engine business (about 15 years now) told me about two years ago that now with the ethanol and other crap being added, stabil is no longer good enough. This guy claims that he runs STAR TRON enzyme treatment in his own stuff.

I have been using that for a couple seasons now and I guess it works? As all of my stuff still starts up easily in the spring.

We are talking about the following:

1) 500CC ATV - purchased in 1999 or so.

2) 23HP Briggs on lawn mower/tractor, 3 years old with about 200 hours on it.

3) Echho leaf blower- 2011 purchase

4) Sthil weed eater- 1998 purchase, just replaced carb this spring after 14 plus years of use for $30 bucks.

5) Honda generator purchased in 2005, fuel drained every six months and replaced with fresh fuel (plus stabil and star tron added) even when not used, started every six months and ran for 30 minutes.

6) POS Craftsman / briggs power washer that I wish would die but won't because of the way I take care of equipment. I am not pleased with the pump and the way it fails to adequately dispense from the solution containers. The engine runs fine...

7) Troy Built snow thrower with snow king engine bought fall of 2005, runs great.

8) Huskavarna 455 rancher chain saw purchased in 2006 or so.

So bottom line, I am all in with this STAR TRON stuff or the stabil MARINE as it is suppose to combat the harmful effects of ethanol.

As far as running something dry vs. keeping full with all the chemicals, I guess the big factor depends on how long you are going to not use that blower. A couple months and you are good empty or full with chemicals, IMO. If you are going for long term storage say 6 months or longer, I would treat fuel and keep completely full and then swap out treated fuel for six months if still not going to use.

·
Super Moderator
3,168 Posts
I switched from Stabil to Seafoam 3-4 years ago. I mix it with every can of premium fuel for the mowers, snowblowers, string trimmer and leaf blower year round. Never have a problem. My Echo dealer recommended it. Harv

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
For long term storage (3 months or more) I run them dry on whatever "normal" fuel they have in it. Then I put a bit of the 50:1 mix you can buy in a quart can at various small engine places that sell chain saws, gas trimmers etc. The fuel in it is pure gasoline, not ethanol, with stabilizers included and pre- mixed oil. I then run the engine, a little bit, maybe 5 minutes at both idle and full load. Then stop, and clean the saw or whatever. Next is clean air filter and check, and replace if worn, the spark plug. Oil or grease where such is used is then taken care of. They have always started the next season with very little effort.

Note that this pre-mix os also available in 40:1 mix if that is what your engine's specs require. These pre-mixed fuels are a bit pricey but the service call you may need if you do not do the preventative maintenance is a heck of a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I guess I have been lucky burning regular gas in a 30 year old chain saw, 5-10 year old weed eater, lawn mower and leave blower. If I remember I will put stabilize in some in the off season. I was told 20 years ago that gasoline has greatly improved and additives were not necessary. I recommend buying brand specific two stroke oil, in your case husgvarna. I burn either husgvarna or stihl oil in all my two stroke. Do not go cheap on oil.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Shannon is right if you have a small airport that has a Fixed Based Operator, just go there and get some av gas, it has a much longer shelf life and no ethanol

Might cost a little more but worth it in the end

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I think trying to run the engine dry is a mistake. The carburetor diaphragm can stick to the carburetor body if the carburetor dries out. Ethanol ate holes in the diaphragm on my new Husqvarna leaf blower. I now always use Stabil and I run a fogging oil through the engine before storing for the winter. The addition of ethanol to gas needs to be stopped.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Think about it.............if you have a gas/oil mix engine and you run it out of fuel for the off season there will still be some oil residue remaining on rubber parts in the carburetor. If I remember correctly oil doesn't evaporate like straight gas.

Another thing is I must be the only person in the world who uses gas with ethanol for everything and have had NO problems!! But I do use Seafoam for off season storage to be on the safe side.

Bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts