Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m heading out to Jackman Maine from Michigan this Saturday morning to hunt moose. Season starts October 1. Work has been crazy so I’m Looking forward to the break. Bad thing is I probably won’t get much of a break. I gotta build a cabin for those Dang Indians that got me my tag 20’ x 32’ with a 10’ x 32’ enclosed porch. Just have to frame it up, sheet the walls with smart panel and steel for the roof and eaves. One 3’ door for now and sheet over the window openings until I go back in the spring for bear. Any way looking forward to a good hunt and good memories building for my Indian friends.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks my Encore 450 Bushmaster did a great job. The butcher Eugene in Jackman said that combo I’m using hits hard according to the tissue damage. I’m loading the 250 bonded shockwave at 2580 FPS.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That’s impressive velocity for the 250. I will carry my 450 the next time we go back for moose. I have 18 years of points not sure when I will be to cash them in. Elk next year and South Africa the year after.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Congrats on a nice bull!! That is some of the finest eating in North America right there enjoy!!

How does it compare to venison ?? Steaks, chops , roasts, burger ??

·
Registered
507 Posts
9manfan in my opinion there is no comparison to venison. I have yet to eat a steak that you cannot eat with a ease. Burgers are just amazing my wife has reserved the remaining ground meat for burgers only! We don’t marinade like venison will use some seasoning is all.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
How does it compare to venison ?? Steaks, chops , roasts, burger ??
Moose is the best wild game I have ever eaten. So tender and to me it tastes more like beef than deer meat does. I haven't had any since 1977 when a friend shot one when we were hunting in Wyoming. A moose hunt is on my bucket list.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Sounds like moose is very good, reason I ask is I have a friend that shot a moose couple years back and he told me how great it was but everything this guy does is great so I kinda wondered about the moose,sounds like he was telling me the truth on this one..............

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had tenderloin last night. OMG were they excellent. Kids and wife had burgers Saturday who Ike I was in Lewiston bird hunting. They really liked them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great job on the moose three years ago I went to Newfoundland and shot mine best time I ever had the meat is awesome. I do love my deer hunting in Michigan but I said to all the guys if I could go on a moose hunt every year I’d give up deer hunting LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts