Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For folks who have used them, did you choose his hard chrome, regular nickel, or nickel boron finish, and why?

Did you have to disassemble the gun?

Did he charge extra to polish out some scratches?

Were you happy with the results? Pics?

· Registered
717 Posts
I have used his Metalife and electroless nickel to match an existing gun. Absolutely first rate work and completely satisfied. I have come to the conclusion that you need to plate for durability. Everything else to me is just glorified paint. Gun did not need to be disassembled. Probably depends on the depth of the scratches. Call Ron to discuss. He is a great guy.

· Premium Member
15,955 Posts
Ron Mahovsky is the local gun shop that is tied to the Metalife process.

I've visited both - stunning group of people and first rate work.

I would suggest you keep an open mind, I had an 870 I wanted Metalifed and Ron said the receiver was badly pitted. He suggested a double plating that would fill the pits and come out basically as I wanted (He did Metalife the 18" barrel). The shotgun looks great and it sits near my bed as a home defense shotgun.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
I had a BT 99 Plus done about 5 years ago in Metalife and it looks like satin nickel, it's held up well. I had the receiver and forend iron done. My gun was in good shape, but most of the bluing was worn off on the bottom. The factory engraving still shows well, and I didn't have to disassemble it beyond taking the wood off. I like it well enough that I'm going to send in my TMX for the same treatment. One note of caution, be upfront on the time expectation. They run the parts in batches and where you fall in the cycle is determined by what they are plating and when, since they mainly do industrial plating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.