Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had recent experience with the Magnetospeed chronograph for measuring shotgun velocities?

·
Premium Member
11,864 Posts
Has anyone had recent experience with the Magnetospeed chronograph for measuring shotgun velocities?
I have one and I really haven't given it a fair trial, but it seems to be reasonably accurate. The Magnetospeed guys say it works better if you use Number 6 lead pellets. For some reason smaller pellets don't generate enough of a signal.

They also said I needed to change the signal to "crossing." That's one of the options in the model I have.

I did get a fair number of readouts that were clearly way off (2000 fps-ish) so I just ignored those.

I need to compare it to my industrial chronograph to see how close it comes.

·
Registered
311 Posts
This is really interesting...I use the Magnetospeed for 17 and 20 caliber rifle bullets and have never had the first failure or error to pick up a shot since I have used it and I have had one for several years now and I use it a lot! Those 17 and 20's are small projectiles and the Magnetospeed is far better for these than the older sky screen type chronographs.
It makes me wonder about the wad...I would think that given the size of the shot column and wad together it would give it enough mass to get good readings, but it almost has to be that the plastic wad is interfering with the ability of the sensor to pick up the smaller size lead shot thru the plastic...thus maybe the reason that Timb99 indicated that #6 size shot works better...the sensor can pick up the bigger size shot thru the plastic better because of the size. The electromagnetic sensors have to get a signal off of the actual material, i.e. lead or copper to generate the feedback and it certainly seems plausible that the plastic would interfere with its ability to do this.

·
Premium Member
11,864 Posts
plastic wad is interfering with the ability of the sensor to pick up the smaller size lead shot thru the plastic
No. It's an induction chronograph which has two sensors in the bayonet. Any metal works (some way better than others. Lead isn't very good.) Plastic is non-conductive and non-magnetic so it won't interfere with how it works.

From their web site:

"Each sensor produces a voltage that is proportional to the change in its magnetic field. The display unit is able to use these voltages to sense the approach of the bullet and accurately determine the time the bullet was directly over each sensor."

Also from their web site:

"Magnetospeed chronographs can work with both lead and steel projectiles, though the sensitivity may need to be adjust for lead-only rounds. The same applies for shot loads, however we do not recommend use with #7 bird shot and smaller due to a drop in accuracy."

·
Premium Member
11,579 Posts
I have one and it gave weird readings on trap loads, to say the least. I would fire a series of identically loaded trap loads and some would read in the 1180-1200 fps range, which I was expecting. The others would read more like 800 fps. I did talk to Magnetospeed about it. They told me that ultra high-speed video showed the shot coming out in two groups and that they believed that the second group was slower, hence the 800 fps readings. Obviously, based on my experience and what they told me, they can't be relied on for shotshells.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The magnetospeed sure work well on rifles, never used it on a shotgun. A standard chronograph is dependent on light, and variations will cause it to not pick up shots, never happens with the magnetospeed.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
One drawback to a magnetospeed is clamping it to a match barrel is counter productive. Clamping if you a hunting rifle of range plunker is ok. I been using the Labradar since it came out and comparing the conventional light screen chrono’s to it they read within 6-8 feet accuracy.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I had one of these for exactly 1 trip to the range. Honestly, it did work great as a crono, but the mounting gear supplied with it was pure junk. Lots of plastic that didn't mount worth a damn to my rifle. Luckily I bought it from Cabelas, before Bass Pro, and they took it back. I finally spend twice the money and bought a LabRadar and that unit works great!

·
Registered
311 Posts
The drawback to the Labradar is that it will not repeatedly pick up over 3900fps...which is where most of my 17 and 20cal cartridges run...20PPC with 39gr/40gr bullets run 4000 without working it hard. That is what kept me from purchasing one...nice unit but also has its limitations.
As stated previously, never had an error or missed shot with the magnetospeed yet and you can purchase a stand to mount the magnetospeed to that is not attached to your barrel, therefore not impacting your group size or POI. Good unit for the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts