Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thought about using a dot for some time now. I
just have not followed through with it. I have ordered some clear ones as
I can use them on my regular pair of glasses if need be.I would like to know is this a big switch? Or something you have to ride out until you are used to it.
I am going to try this just want some input on what I'm about to do.
m fowler13

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
The Magic Dot in the correct position will prevent your off/shoulder eye from seeing the front bead as well as locking on the target with the wrong eye. The Dot or tape patch will also wipe out a sizable field of view so you might find that a lower gun point over the trap house will be needed to avoid losing the target under your barrel. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
After a couple of outings you should get used to it. I've tried mostly everything and this has worked the best for me - now I don't even notice it. I start wearing the shooting glasses about 30 minutes before I shoot.

Do several mounts in your normal stance and place the dot lightly where you cannot see your sight with your shooting eye closed. I've had the most success with using the color dot of the lenses. Once the dot is in the correct position, firm it up. It will stay put even after using lense cleaners on the lenses - I like Morgan Optical for the Magic Dots.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I use the dots,but my left eye (off eye) was seeing threw it,so I put a piece of frosted tape over the dot.The dot can still be moved and removed without a problem as long as you put the same size tape over the dot material.

joe

·
Registered
355 Posts
m fowler13, www.spotshot.co.uk might be of interest to you. It will show you where they feel the dot should be placed. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sorry, my dyslexia that I didn't know I had must have come out!! It would be www.shotspot.uk.co or google shotspot that should do it. My Bad!! Joe

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all the information.
We will see if I can use it or not over the next couple weeks.
Hopefully it will help
M fowler13

·
Registered
344 Posts
Check this website out and click on the "Eye dominance/Occluder". Allen, in addition to being a AAA skeet shooter is also trying to help shooters at his own expense and does not charge for his services to fellow shooters.

http://wamskeet.com/

P.S. Although he is a champion Skeet shooter, his advice about eyes also works for us who shoot both trap and skeet.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
fowler; wishing you great success. I have used one for many, many years with a lot of great success. You only need the clear for all of your glasses.

Don

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I use the dots from the link above...it's about $4 for a lifetime supply and they are the same that you get charged $15 a sheet for, from some shooting outlets.

I like a much smaller dot, so I got a 7/16" hole punch and punch the smaller dots out of the sheet. Using a smaller dot means more accurate placement, but after you've placed one a few times, it gets pretty quick and easy.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big Don how have you been. We need to shoot
together again . Bobby has talked so much about
shooting tenn. last year he had a blast. Good luck
this year and hopefully we will shoot together down
the road. Thanks for the advice going to try one this
weekend. All I got were clear.
m fowler13

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
I saw where he tore them up Florida. I wish I could of been there, could have put the Tenn. squad back together. I am going down in two weeks if I can get out of here. Will stay until 4/1. Lots of shooting. Pat Bobby on the back for me for making All American.

Don

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Blocking the non-dominate eye and a solution...for me.

I've tried a lot of different things to make my dominate eye do it's job. There are expensive dots, patches and other types of objects to put on your off eye lens, to keep that eye from taking over and causing a cross dominance miss when you are trying to break a target. Most methods obscure some of the bifocular vision which helps you determine your depth perception needed to judge and see your target as you would with normal two eyed seeing! You only need a thin veneer which slightly will blurr the target just enough so your brain will stay with the sharper object your dominate eye is seeing.

My brain and yours is very smart and wants to give me or you the best image you are seeing, so it doesn't take much diffusion to make your brain keep seeing and reading what your dominant eye sees. I use something that I always have with me and you have it with you all the time whether you are shooting or not. I take my finger and get a little bit of oil which is on the side of my nose, mount my gun and see where the front bead is seen through that part of my glasses lens. I take my gun down and put that little dab of grease(oil) on that spot of my lens and mount the gun and see if it is where my front bead is. Sometimes I have to add a little more to one side of that spot to keep that eye from trying to take over by seeing beside it. Also I'll sometimes add a little more to the inside of my lens. Works for me and helps me see the whole picture better as if I don't have part of my vision occluded! Biff

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The magic dots first appeared at the Grand around 20 or so years ago. They were giving out free samples. A couple years later,they were price gouging them. That's when I started using translucient scotch tape. After a round or two, you won't even know its there. Works for me.

Clyde

1 - 20 of 39 Posts