Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new shooter and have intermittent cross eye dominance issues. I have been using a magic dot and have found it to work well for me in terms of crippling my left eye just enough to keep my vision stable. Does that make me a one eyed shooter and thus effect my ideal hold over the house? This may seem like a silly question, but hey, I'm new!

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
I have shot with one for years. I hold wherever I need to be to break the target but usually just above the front edge of the trap house. I do have two guns that I shoot that I have to hold a foot or two above the front edge. Experiment to see what works best for you.

Don

·
Registered
469 Posts
I also use a majic dot and even though we can shoot with both eyes open your depth perception will still suffer a bit. mine does. the dot however is a better alternative to one eye shooting. I pic up my targets a lot faster with the dot. lee

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
I've never thought of the dot as a way to shoot with one eye only? Isn't to help prevent the off eye from seeing the bead as you attack the targets?

At least that's what I understood from one of the best shooters in the country that uses a dot!!

HAP

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Hap, a rib blinder or hooded fiber optic front bead prevents the off shoulder eye from seeing the front bead while still allowing a higher hold over the traphouse. The Magic Dot if needed also prevents the off eye from seeing the bead but at the same time, wipes out enough area of view to make you effectively a one eyed shooter which is Not all that bad either but you need a lower gun hold.

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
Hap,

Anybody who obscures their off eye is, by definition, a "one-eyed" shooter.

Tape, dot, Chap Stick, eye lid. It doesn't matter. They all make you a one-eyed shooter.

Only one eye is being used to acquire the target.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I shoot with a dot and enjoy very high gun holds. There are times however, when my game takes a turn for the worse, that I go back to the top edge of the house until my fortunes turn.

The great thing the high gun hold has taught me being a one eyed shooter, is patience in waiting to see the bird. I am able to hold very steady until the bird becomes visible, then it's generally a short move to kill.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Disagree. I use all of the off eye except for the part that would look at the bead. I pick up the bird faster than if I had the eye closed which also causes a slight squint in dominate eye.

Unless you have used one you should refrain from giving advice. You can refer to me as a 1 3/4 eyed shooter but not a one eyed shooter.

Don

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
When you are done with the magic dot and the blinder fences you can learn to "wink " the bird. You call for it with both eyes open and as you go to the target you close your off eye.

That way you keep depth perception and speed recognition long enough to make shooting the target a little easier.

HM

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me follow up my first post with another beginner question. In my haste to try my new gun last week, I forgot to put on the little piece of tape on my regular glasses that serves as a proxy for the magic dot. I hit some of the targets but found my vision sort of felt unstable (having trouble using the right words). I keep my vision significantly away from the barrel before I call my shots, ie soft focus a little below the treeline in the "window," but without the dot I would see the side of my receiver during my swings on longer leads and I would lose the bird. It was a strange effect. Should I be trying to power through this and be a "true" two eyed shooter, or is using a dot etc. okay?

·
Supporting Vendor
9,958 Posts
I'm with BIGDON on this. I'm also a 1 3/4 eyed shooter. The key is the placement of the dot. You don't want to cut off your lower peripheral vision, just block out only where the target will be seen.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
eforer wrote: " Should I be trying to power through this and be a "true" two eyed shooter, or is using a dot etc. okay? "

You should send an email to Phil Kiner and discuss this question.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
A one eye shooter, or patched eye shooter should never hold higher than the top of the traphouse...Let's face it....you close one eye and you'll lose 50% of your vision.

I've been shooting for 30 years with the magic dot and do quite well,both eyes wide open, but rarely hold above the house...

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Don wrote this; "I use all of the off eye except for the part that would look at the bead."

I think Tron also meant the bead and not the target?

HAP

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Chip - V10 made the statement that if you use a dot you are a one eyed shooter. That is not totally true. But why discourage any shooter from using an aide that might help them break more targets?

Don

·
Supporting Vendor
9,958 Posts
Nope, I meant target. I also have sight blinders on all my target guns to distract my left eye from seeing the bead.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I use a dot too and I gotta agree with TRON AND BIGDON shooting with a dot is significantly different than shooting with one eye closed,The target is blurred not completely invisible to the off eye so you are using vision in both eyes not one.JERRY

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
When people use the dot they still can see under the barrel (peripheral vision) and pick up the target path. With a true one-eyed shooter its best to hold at the top of the house.

Bill, a true one eyed shooter.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts