Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a different sort of magic dot aid that had a assortment of different of patterns, horizontal or vertical lines, that covered a large area of the lens. I am interesting in finding a source to try to solve the intermittent eye dominance issue.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I had cataract surgery on my right eye 2 months ago. I have used the hooded fiber optic bead on all my shotguns for at least 10 years. When duck or pheasant hunting and nobody is keeping score, I wear the tape patch on my left lens. The only reason that I did not use the tape patch consistently for trapshooting was because I am in the habit of holding my gun over the trap house and the tape patch would give me a blind spot when my barrel was in the way unless I held a lower gun. After many trials I concluded that my scores were a little better without the tape patch. With the cataract in my right eye my vision was so poor that I could not dare use the patch because I would not be able to see the target. I went to my first shoot after the surgery and shot better than I had for a long time. The floaters are still there and I think the evil cross fire fairy can still come back to haunt me but at least now I could use a patch and I am willing to try this filter idea because it looks like I can still hold over the trap house instead of a hold on the house with a lot of vertical movement of the gun. Click on About to read the discussion of the theory:

OffEye Optical Filters

·
Registered
197 Posts
At skeet small piece of black tape on left lense for right hand shooter so i can see high 2-3-and 4 leave the shute then thr right eye takes over doing this for 50 years works for me. George

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree on the scotch tape, been using frosted scotch tape on my LH lens for close to 40 years, RH shooter LH dominate eye. Plus I use the champion easy hit from sight, which is a tube / fiber optic sight.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I used the off eye patches for a while but they seemed to also hold back a lot of light. I found the red eye which is a set of plastic enclosed magnets in several sizes that stick on both sides of your lense. As long as I get the magnet in the right spot it does away with the ghost barrel and also lets in a lot of light. It does take a little while to ship because they come from the UK. I've used tape and magic dots also and this product works best for me.

PS I like the red eye enough that I just ordered a back up set. They are a little pricey (around $47 US), but worth it to me. eyedominance.co.uk

·
Registered
533 Posts
I use a fired 45 acp case to punch out dots. I started with regular contact paper, but it was too sticky and hard to deal with. I switched to a thick transfer tape that my wife uses in vinyl work. It is still clear but has light cross hatching used to help in alignment of the vinyl. Has just the right amount of tack and holds it's shape better than tape.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
For improved sites for your gun you can try Hi-Viz or TruGlo, or you can even look at Meadow Industries,LLC. Now most Brownings come with the Hi-Viz site system at this time, so you can go from there. break em all Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts