Water can-be soaked up in a rag when you push down on the lining
This is not a cheap old gun case
It isn’t the end of the world for me

Steve

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, has someone misbehaved toward another to draw such treatment....?
Being a retired police officer and working with children Special Education
People do things for no reason
I am not looking for who did this
I am only curious about the reblueing costs
I posted this as a reminder to people to check their shotgun before you put it back in the safe
I have a dehumidifier in the safe but the gun was in the case this time
Steve

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
This was intentional
I find this so unfathomable for one shooter to do this to another shooter on purpose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After you have done so much for this shooting club as well. The Good Lord above knows who did this. One day he will be judged and the wrong will be righted. Meantime the best of luck repairing your shotgun. I would call Kolar ASAP and find out what you can do to stop the rusting before you ship the gun to them. I have used a product made by Skyco Called Rust-I-Cide!!! Its a chemical rust remover. It works very well indeed!!! But is very acidic in nature. Not sure if I would use it on your receiver? I am pretty darn sure it will remove all your Bluing on your barrels for Sure!!!! But, the red rust would be removed. I expect there is something better out there to stop the rust in its tracks so you can ship the gun to them without further damage to your firearm. As the Red Rust can keep spreading? I just wish there was something more I could do to help. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
24,630 Posts
Rust-I-Cide!!! Its a chemical rust remover. It works very well indeed!!! But is very acidic in nature.
CAS #
7664-38-2 144-62-7 111-76-2
Hazardous Components (Chemical Name)
Phosphoric acid
Oxalic acid
Ethanol, 2-Butoxy-
Concentration
<=15.0 %
<=10.0 %
<=10.0 %

Yeah. It’s pretty acid all right. Blue on many shotguns is rust. Process is called ”slow rust bluing” use phosphoric acid on it and the blue iron oxide changes into a water soluble substance that washes right off along with the red iron oxide.

Reactions: Berty

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Yes, I know this product will remove all rust. I also know that all Bluing is "Good" Rust!!! Bottom line is the red rust will continue to form and can cause pitting in the metal if its not removed ASAP. The barrel has to be re-blued anyway, so all the old Bluing has to be removed anyway!!! Does it not!!! No way around that IMO. The question of using this product is not up to me. I told the OP to contact Kolar, and see what they recommend. I suppose the big question is how much pitting will be on the barrels and receiver if the red rust continues left untreated? I expect not too deep, but I'm guessing. Mmm break em all jeff

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my old BT99 and a Remington 3200 to shoot
Had the BT99 restored two years ago 1974
So shooting is slow I will call Kolar and ship it off
The case is in the sun
I am in Santa Maria having fun shooting
Great weather
Steve

·
Registered
601 Posts
That is terrible. I would either send it to Kolar or to Glenrock Bluing. Not suggesting anything but a few years ago I took a Ljutic in an Americase from my very cold air conditioned house and put in the back of a pickup with a tonneau cover on a very hot day. Several hours later when I retrived the gun it and the case were soaked. Water was beading on the gun. No one had access and the only explaination was condensation. I would not have believed the volume of water had I not seen it. Fortunately there was no damage but a very memorable lesson. You will be amazed how well it will clean up with some 0000 steel wool and WD-40. Won't be perfect but might be acceptable. Did all that rust occur in 1 hour? Good luck.

·
Registered
24,630 Posts
That is terrible. I would either send it to Kolar or to Glenrock Bluing. Not suggesting anything but a few years ago I took a Ljutic in an Americase from my very cold air conditioned house and put in the back of a pickup with a tonneau cover on a very hot day. Several hours later when I retrived the gun it and the case were soaked. Water was beading on the gun. No one had access and the only explaination was condensation. I would not have believed the volume of water had I not seen it. Fortunately there was no damage but a very memorable lesson. You will be amazed how well it will clean up with some 0000 steel wool and WD-40. Won't be perfect but might be acceptable. Did all that rust occur in 1 hour? Good luck.
That you Bear?

Reactions: Berty

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble. It takes a real low life to do such a thing. Wishing you the best in getting your gun restored!

·
Registered
24,630 Posts
That you Bear?
Point being a friend took his shotgun from his very cold living room to his pickup, tonneau cover, to work then to the club on league night. Opened the cover and the gun case to find his shotgun sopping wet with enough water in the case that he poured some out. Complete takedown and wipe dry. Re oil. Shot it for league. It showed a light red rust on the wipes but no pitting having caught it in time. He removed it from the gun case when it was at home after that.

Reactions: Pull & Mark
1 - 20 of 165 Posts