Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new buttstock fo one of my franchi rabbit guns. I can get one at masons. I aint looking for beautiful cus it'll get its share of nicks in a hurry. Anyway it says it has one coat of mineral spirits and thats all. What else and what steps do i do to make it look decent. Polyurethane maybe

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Get a jar of G96 Lin-Speed. easy to put on, nicks and scrapes repairable. I havent sdone a lot of refinishes, but that's what I use.

HM

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
You say It has one coat of mineral spirits? Well it won't be on there anymore. Mineral Spirits evaporates almost immediately.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Macon Gun Stocks??? They put the mineral spirits on it just to show the wood grain! It evaporates quickly and is of no protective value. The stock is will require a finish of some type.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya im sorry i did mean macon, i must have gotten autocorrected. Ok so if the mineral spirits evaporate do i stain it like trim then put the linseed oil on it to finish. Again i may not doanything as it is gonna get beat up but i figured since i will be doing it in the offseason i would try to make it look nice. Thamks ben

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Don't use linseed oil. The Lin-speed oil that halfmile mentioned is a modified oil similar to the more commonly available Birchwood Casey Tru-oil. Follow the directions and apply as many coats as you desire. It is easy to repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts