Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the posts here about M12 forearm removal.
Most of the videos or YouTube suggested pieces are about full gun disassembly.

My question is, does anyone know of a video that covers specifically forearm disassembly, from beginning to actual removal of the wood with the spanner wrench?
Thanks very much.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
The wood has shrink on older guns and a spanner wrench is seldom needed. I had four old Model Twelves, and you could turn the retaining ring by hand on all of them.

Make sure that you turn the retaining screw on the correct side. One side does not turn with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Maybe I’m unlucky but I have 7 Model 12s, 6 from the 1950s and 1 is a 1962 gun. They all were "cussing mad difficult". After multiple heatings and penetrating oil applications, I still Managed to break the nibs off 3 of the more expensive Brownell spanner wrenches on one of the guns. I finally got it off with the cheaper Brownell wrench, (that Toolmaker displayed), but only after an impressive display of abusive language.

·
Sky Buster
4,127 Posts
Maybe I’m unlucky but I have 7 Model 12s, 6 from the 1950s and 1 is a 1962 gun. They all were "cussing mad difficult". After multiple heatings and penetrating oil applications, I still Managed to break 3 nibs off 3 of the more expensive Brownell spanner wrenches on one of the guns. I finally got it off with the cheaper Brownell wrench, (that Toolmaker displayed), but only after an impressive display of abusive language.
I use the Brownells wrench but I place the wrench in the vise. Engage the slot and turn
the forend assembly. It always worked for me, especially on the stubborn one's.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I use the Brownells wrench but I place the wrench in the vise. Engage the slot and turn
the forend assembly. It always worked for me, especially on the stubborn one's.
Yep, that’s what I do as well.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Good to hear! Have fun shooting it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been using the wrench I purchased from Brownell's Inc, a very long time ago. They do wear out, usually as a result of not being placed properly in the notches of the forearm iron locking nut. I also have a very similar wrench for the Model 42 Winchester. It is a good design but I have heard that some are not hard enough for prolonged use. I am a stock maker specializing in Model 12 and Model 42 Winchesters and use mine daily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts