Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading Lyman's manual and looking at all the reloading stuff online has left me with a few questions.

1. Powder - I get there are different types of power for 16 yd vs 27 yd Cap, or field vs. target, etc. If I look at all of those that are good for 12GA target from 16yd shots and made a list there are a lot. Did you just trial and error to find what you like best? Work with small batches of several to determine what is best for your gun? Leaning to trying CLAYS first.

2. Hulls - my son shoots Rem GC primarily so we will have those to reload. In the Lyman's book it only references STS hulls in it's directions/recipes. I think GC, STS, Nitro's etc are all the same. I don't want to assume but am I interrupting that correctly?

3. Wads - what WADS for GC - Fig 8? Short of taking one apart I can't seem to find anywhere that says use this wad. It looks like there could be different ones used too - as long as it is tapered. Again, is it trial and error? I do see that there are wads for 7/8. 1. 1 1/18, etc.

Right now he shoots 1 1/8 around 1200 FPS for both 16 and 19 yrds. Based on what I have read it does appear that a 1oz will work fine for him...so will prob try formulas for both.

Thanks for the view and feedback if you have it.

Abigaylesdad

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Reading Lyman's manual and looking at all the reloading stuff online has left me with a few questions.

1. Powder - I get there are different types of power for 16 yd vs 27 yd Cap, or field vs. target, etc. If I look at all of those that are good for 12GA target from 16yd shots and made a list there are a lot. Did you just trial and error to find what you like best? Work with small batches of several to determine what is best for your gun? Leaning to trying CLAYS first.

2. Hulls - my son shoots Rem GC primarily so we will have those to reload. In the Lyman's book it only references STS hulls in it's directions/recipes. I think GC, STS, Nitro's etc are all the same. I don't want to assume but am I interrupting that correctly?

3. Wads - what WADS for GC - Fig 8? Short of taking one apart I can't seem to find anywhere that says use this wad. It looks like there could be different ones used too - as long as it is tapered. Again, is it trial and error? I do see that there are wads for 7/8. 1. 1 1/18, etc.

Right now he shoots 1 1/8 around 1200 FPS for both 16 and 19 yrds. Based on what I have read it does appear that a 1oz will work fine for him...so will prob try formulas for both.

Thanks for the view and feedback if you have it.

Abigaylesdad
I suggest that your son should only shoot 1oz for a pretty long while.
When he gets older and larger, if he choses to move to 1 1/8, I could understand but for now, 1 oz.
Being that you have Gun Club Hulls, use them. I would recommend using the Claybuster CB8100-12 Wad, Winchester 209 Primers and 17.0 gr of Red Dot Powder. This load will be right at 1150 fps. Perfect for your son.
Best of Luck,
MG

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
One more thing to let people know is what type of shotgun your son is using. You could even drop down to a 7/8 Oz. load for less recoil and still effective use on 16 yad target. But if your son is using a semi-auto you may, or may not, have problems with working the action. Some people do have that problem whiles others do not. It depends on the chamber being clean and smooth and the gas ports and associated things operating smoothly and letting an adequate amount of pressure/impulse into the action. With a break open or pump, that becomes much less of an issue.

·
Registered
972 Posts
MG has given you good sound advice. This will also keep your component inventory at a minimum if you stick with one hull to reload. Gun club hulls are very easy to find and good for several reloads. And yes you can use the loading data for STS and Nitro hulls for your Gun Club loads. Hogdon states this in their loading data.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more thing to let people know is what type of shotgun your son is using. You could even drop down to a 7/8 Oz. load for less recoil and still effective use on 16 yad target. But if your son is using a semi-auto you may, or may not, have problems with working the action. Some people do have that problem whiles others do not. It depends on the chamber being clean and smooth and the gas ports and associated things operating smoothly and letting an adequate amount of pressure/impulse into the action. With a break open or pump, that becomes much less of an issue.
Good call - CXT

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
^^^ Yep !
Red Dot is a battle proven powder for sure . Just like you said 'the old timers 'used it too.
It works for 1145 and 1200 fps loads - 1 and 1 1/8oz too. Red Dot will do A LOT...

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Great advice from everyone so far. I reload a lot of Gun Clubs and find that they reload very well, although there will be some variations in hull length that will give you a little pinhole in the crimp on some and a slight swirl in the crimp on others - nothing to be concerned about. I concur on Red Dot and Winchester primers - readily available (most of the time; there may be a little scarcity right now) and that load should give you a good stack height.

Remember that in the Lyman book, they tend to provide loads for Remington hulls using Remington primers, which - at least where I live - are both hard to find and about 50% costlier than the competition. If you find a load that looks good but the book is specifying a Remington primer, contact the powder manufacturer and ask if a primer substitution is allowable. I mostly use Alliant powder and their advice to me has been that if the pressure for a given load is between 6,500 and 8,500 psi, it is OK to substitute a different primer.

Note: don't take my word for it, contact Alliant or the powder manufacturer of your choice and verify your proposed load for yourself!

Good luck and have fun!

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Mg is spot on. I'm one who loves gun club hulls. Started with the exact load mg recommended then wanted to bump up to 1 1/8. So bumping up charge started experimenting. All with published loads. Now I'm finishing up some hodgdon international which I love. If I can keep finding it I'll keep using it!! Good luck on your search for "The Load"!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suggest that your son should only shoot 1oz for a pretty long while.
When he gets older and larger, if he choses to move to 1 1/8, I could understand but for now, 1 oz.
Being that you have Gun Club Hulls, use them. I would recommend using the Claybuster CB8100-12 Wad, Winchester 209 Primers and 17.0 gr of Red Dot Powder. This load will be right at 1150 fps. Perfect for your son.
Best of Luck,
MG
Playing around on the Alliant reloaders guide the only way I can get a Red Dot powder to work is if I pick a Rem primer. Would the Win primer be a direct replacement? They did not have a CB8100-12 as an option so I saw on the CB webpage that is the same as TGT12 which i picked on the Alliant page.
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Playing around on the Alliant reloaders guide the only way I can get a Red Dot powder to work is if I pick a Rem primer. Would the Win primer be a direct replacement? They did not have a CB8100-12 as an option so I saw on the CB webpage that is the same as TGT12 which i picked on the Alliant page.
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide
The CB8100-12 is a direct replacement for the Remington TGT12. Use the Winchester Primer unless you want to add a lot of expense to the load. The Winchester Primer has already been tested in this load and was completely safe, well below even 9,000 psi.
MG

·
Registered
830 Posts
The only thing I would add is 4100 and 0175 CBer wads. I've used both with success. The 4100 have , I forget, but more fingers - 6 or 8 - and some times be a battle to reload. They want to curl and you have to take the time to straighten them before they go in. You may want to contact Hodgdons and Alliant for their free reloading hand booklets. I find them much easier to use.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Go on line and find Alliant Powders and Hogdon's reloading guides. Bookmark them and you will have everything you need to load anything you need to load anything you want to try FREE. You are a smart cookie by reading the Lyman book first--before reloading. You have read some things that us old farts had to spend two years learning the hard way!
Enjoy your time with your son.
My Best
Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts