Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have worked really hard and always had early retirement as a huge focus. Just turned 40 and about 4-5 years away, but as it’s getting closer, I’m not sure that I’m really going to retire.

All that said, b/c I thought buying the gun was a big expense. I’ve since learned the gun is actually the cheap part hahaha

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well I just started shooting trap at age 60, up until then I worked my butt off and invested wisely, I retired at age 64 and I'm going to travel and shoot as much this year as I did last year, the cost of ammo and fuel is what it is, I owe it to myself to do what I like to do, that's why I worked my butt off for all those years :unsure:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi Tom,
Karen and I used to live on a harbor in Long Island. I could look out my living room window and if I saw fish jumping run out and catch dinner - bluefish or stripers. I then took her trapshooting and quickly found out that I could maybe afford and had time for one expensive hobby, but not two. There went the boat. Some guy in Connecticut got a real bargain on a nice Grady White Sailfish. We made the right choice. When you come down to it, trapshooting is a people sport, fishing isn't. To be honest however, I do miss going out on the water on occasions. Kayaking on Watson Lake in Prescott is not the same.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Dad and I (mostly dad) are splurging currently. We are sitting in the Atlanta Airport drinking beer buying time before we depart for Johannesburg,South Africa. Once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt South Africa with your dad. I'm going heavy 👍
Where are you going to hunt?

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Pietermaritzburg W/ Crusader Outfitters
Cool. I drove through there many times on the way from Johannesburg to Durban.

Creighton Valley Gun Club is southwest of there near the town of Ixopo

Beautiful part of the world. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I took up clay target shooting when I was 59. Because of that I am not a great shooter. But if I would have taken it up earlier I probably would not have been able to retire. Life is full of tradeoffs.

Jim

·
Registered
28,274 Posts
It's amazing how much income one has for hobbies when getting debt free is a priority.
Yep. The concept of “Self Financing” works pretty well. Just figure out what the payment would be on your new car/truck and put that amount in a bank account every month. Before you would have put enough in to satisfy 36/48/60 months payments you’ve got enough to pay cash. So pay cash and keep on sticking a payment a month in the bank along with what you WOULD have been paying if you’d financed that new vehicle. As it accumulates don’t let it burn a hole in your picket. Pay off the smaller debts and live easier.

·
6,019 Posts
Wife cooks during the week, we eat out casual on the weekends, however occasions get upscale... I shoot recreational only... So the extra dough doesn't put a huge crimp in the budget. While I watch my pennies, I prefer shooting Winchester and Remington ammo.

I like quality in in my hobbies and tools... 90T shotgun, Orvis fly rods, vintage billiard cues, vintage time pieces, USA made Craftsman hand tools...

We live in the now... Can't take it with us, but do make sure we've got a little something for tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
“One year I was able to read my name”? Was that in the misdemeanors and felonies filed section?
Flash you have left a helluva legacy and those you have helped will never forget what you have done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,274 Posts
“One year I was able to read my name”? Was that in the misdemeanors and felonies filed section?
Flash you have left a helluva legacy and those you have helped will never forget what you have done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nah. It was in the club reports section. Several clubs. But you knew that.

Thanks for the kudos. I hope you’re right. I’ve got a couple more grandsons and even granddaughters to go as they grow.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Hi Tom,
Karen and I used to live on a harbor in Long Island. I could look out my living room window and if I saw fish jumping run out and catch dinner - bluefish or stripers. I then took her trapshooting and quickly found out that I could maybe afford and had time for one expensive hobby, but not two. There went the boat. Some guy in Connecticut got a real bargain on a nice Grady White Sailfish. We made the right choice. When you come down to it, trapshooting is a people sport, fishing isn't. To be honest however, I do miss going out on the water on occasions. Kayaking on Watson Lake in Prescott is not the same.
I need to take your advice and get rid of one or two hobbies. I grew up on eastern Long Island, but left long before I had any money for hobbies. I remember bluefish moving in close to shore and making the water churn in the Great South Bay. My first boat was a Grumman aluminum canoe that I carried on my shoulders down to Lake Ronkonkoma. I visited last summer, funny how everything seemed so much smaller than I remembered.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts