Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I go out to an expensive steak house, I don't blink at the $19 martinis. Its all part of the experience. I was adding up the costs to travel to a larger shoot, and have concluded it's the same thing. Why not shoot those Nineteen dollar Federal Papers, its all part of the experience. I know its going to cost a bunch, no point in choosing something less expensive on the menu. No matter what, its gonna be too much, might as well pretend its a luxury event and feel good about it, in case my scores don't make me feel good. Heck, if I am goin to spend all day doing something, it better cost a bunch. I am worth it!

Ok, so I am still buzzed from 3 or 4 martinis with an awesome steak..... but I think I will still agree with this in the morning.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I didn't shoot for 30 years because I was working and taking care of my family. Anyone with kids know it's just not the money; it's also the time for sports and other family activities that take a toll on us. Now that the kids are gone, and we've paid off all of our bills, it's now time to enjoy whatever you wish. You deserve it. Shoot papers with whatever gun you can afford. To put it bluntly, go and enjoy yourself. That's what I'm doing. Just do it and don't look back!

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Do you drink 8 to 12 martinis a day for 2 to 5 or more days (taking your analogy)?
Oh no. That frequent and that quantity would demean the luxurious specialness that trapshooting has evolved into. That’s the way to promote the sport - make it expensive and elite, not something a guy can do every day. It will be more popular than ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: handlepuller

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of my money has been spent on fine shotguns, boats, and women, the rest of it I just wasted.
speaking of boats, if I finally decide trapshooting isn't worth it anymore, I might consider the more affordable and humble boating hobby. Maybe fine women if I hit lotto.

Reactions: vatrap and entropy

·
Registered
Tristar TT-15
32 Posts
When I go out to an expensive steak house, I don't blink at the $19 martinis. Its all part of the experience. I was adding up the costs to travel to a larger shoot, and have concluded it's the same thing. Why not shoot those Nineteen dollar Federal Papers, its all part of the experience. I know its going to cost a bunch, no point in choosing something less expensive on the menu. No matter what, its gonna be too much, might as well pretend its a luxury event and feel good about it, in case my scores don't make me feel good. Heck, if I am goin to spend all day doing something, it better cost a bunch. I am worth it!

Ok, so I am still buzzed from 3 or 4 martinis with an awesome steak..... but I think I will still agree with this in the morning.
I too like nice things. Learnt that from a young age, hence why I decided to study hard in school. Spent an extra 10+ years after I graduated college studying when everyone I knew was partying.
Hard work pays off :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
My dad told me years ago everything I would make would go out the end of a gun barrel or a dog's ass. A huge amount of dollars have, but my family is raised and I have a roof over my head and a full belly. I am going to enjoy myself. I have worked hard in my life and intend to play hard.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Tomk2,

Been there with the boat. That is the hole in the water that you throw your money into. Sold the boat, now just throwing my money into the hole in the sky shooting Trap and Sporting Clays. More Trap because you get to shoot more for your money.

Jason
Boat=bust out another thousand.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,237 Posts
It is amazing how fast my bank balances went up when my illness forced me to stop shooting. Once my last child got married momma and me started shooting every weekend ATA tournaments plus every day the club was open for practice. One year I was able to read my name in every issue of trap and field several times.
Helped get kids started right. Helped coach a lot of them. Introduced my grandson to the game. One of my favorite kids is captain of the Olympic Junior Skeet team and is at the World Cup right now. 3 other of those kids are still shooting, one at a high level ATA All American and two are doing well. But almost all the people I used to shoot with bunches of years ago have long since quit.
Very expensive sport.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
I'm getting pretty long in the tooth now. I have retied twice . Once from the Air Force and once from the Aircraft Machinist Union. I'm no rich man but, manage to pay my bills , keep up our small farm and enjoy a little fishing, hunting and Trapshooting. You're not going to take your savings account or your 401 K with you ! Enjoy life and time with your family. Find a hobby . Any hobby will cost you some money but, I have seen far too many people be so obsessed with making a successful LIVING that they never really LIVED.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts