Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a BT-99 Micro Midas that patterns 10" higher than the POA at 30 yards. There is an adjustable comb on the gun and it is all the way down. The BT-99 does have a Carey/Slick Slide on it. She cannot get used to a gun that patterns this high. Because of this she mostly shoots her Syren. She would prefer the BT, because the balance point is more rearward and this helps as she balances the gun on her forearm.

The only way I can think of lowering the POI is to use a product like Add-A-Rib? But doesn't this inherently cause issues as she will have to raise her comb, which in turn will elevate the POI? If she does not raise the comb, aren't you then looking at the back of the Add-A-Rib?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
You will have the ability to drop the POI relative to the POA if you put an add-a-rib on it. Right now it looks like it's at the cusp of 70/30. Putting the lowest add a rib on it, 3/8" , will let you drop the POI to around 60/40, maybe a bit lower. In your pic, it looks like there might be one washer on the posts.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Most add a ribs are the same height front to back or higher at the back to raise the gun's poi. Pat Laib, owner of Laibs Gunsmithing in Spicer, MN used to have short (2" or so) delrin ribs with a front sight attached, that screwed into the front sight hole in the existing rib. Because it was a little higher than the existing front sight, it lowered the poi.

·
Registered
22,722 Posts
One could have an “eccentric” choke made for her to lower the pattern. Briley makes them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should let everyone know that because she cannot get low enough, she does see a bit of rib between the beads.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Easiest way would be to lower the comb by getting the comb so there is no gap. Maybe more inlettting is needed. Or raise the front bead with shims

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,015 Posts
She would prefer the BT, because the balance point is more rearward and this helps as she balances the gun on her forearm.
Have you tried adding some weight to the stock of the Syren to change the balance?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I should let everyone know that because she cannot get low enough, she does see a bit of rib between the beads.
If she is seeing rib between the beads, lower the comb. If its the whole way down, shave it or have a stock maker build a new one (so.you have the original.to.sell in the future )

·
Registered
767 Posts
Having gone down this road I would recommend you not touch the wood. Rather, add a strip of balsa wood to the rib with double sided tape. Balsa wood strips can be had at most hobby shops and are very cheap. It is 1/8” thick. I experimented until I got the desired height and then sent the barrel to Keen Gunsights and they duplicated the rib in aluminum. Paired with my adjustable comb it works perfectly. Get a copy of RollinOswalds book on stock fitting. It is an invaluable resource for these things

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
I would experiment with tapered strips of of wood to find out exactly what she likes.
Then have a duplicate made out of aluminum and glue it on with 3m double sided tape.
You may only need to make her new rib to come 1/2 to 2/3rds of the length of the barrel.
I would start with a peace .25" thick 2 ' long attach a bead and tie it on with bread ties.
Henry

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Take a yard stick and lay it on the rib and over the stock. Raise the front of the yard stick until the back is parallel with the comb. The gap and taper will appear under the yard stick that is over the barrel. That will show you the taper you need to get it to a 50/50 POA...... Just my opinion

·
Registered
102 Posts
Take a yard stick and lay it on the rib and over the stock. Raise the front of the yard stick until the back is parallel with the comb. The gap and taper will appear under the yard stick that is over the barrel. That will show you the taper you need to get it to a 50/50 POA...... Just my opinion
Keen Sights has an add on adjustable rib

·
Registered
11,092 Posts
I would have to say your wife is seeing lots of space between the beads. If so? You need to have Carey/Slick Slide rework the recoil pad and comb to lower the comb another 1/8 to 3/16 to get the POI where is should be for your wife. Good Luck. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
You will have the ability to drop the POI relative to the POA if you put an add-a-rib on it. Right now it looks like it's at the cusp of 70/30. Putting the lowest add a rib on it, 3/8" , will let you drop the POI to around 60/40, maybe a bit lower. In your pic, it looks like there might be one washer on the posts.
You can tell by a pic that it prints 70/30 ?
Henry

·
Sky Buster
4,163 Posts
I would have to say your wife is seeing lots of space between the beads. If you? You need to have Carey/Slick Slide rework the recoil pad and comb to lower the comb another 1/8 to 3/16 to get the POI where is should be for your wife. Good Luck. break em all Jeff
Lower the comb by sanding until you get a figure eight between the beads. Refinish
with Tru Oil. Easy job.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts