Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
899 Posts
It was really hot earlier in the week. Today is was on the cool side with wind. My squads scores in caps were all down a bit. Still a great time and a great place to shoot. Looks like we'll finish the week cool with wind. Next week for the state shoot looks perfect, but then again I'm used to 20 degrees and snow.....
Paul

· Registered
2,399 Posts
Talked toa friend that is there. He had led the HOA for a day or two. He said he had shot tougher targets but he could not remember when. He had a 82 in caos and said Harlan had a 85. He said the wind was tough, swirling, and nothing consistent.
I told him it ok to shoot 50 if everybody else shot a 49....he said THEY DIDN'T!
Tomorrow they start at 0 and it's a new day!

· Registered
2,105 Posts
I shot my first Southern Grand this past week. It was also my first trip to the Silver Dollar. It is a beautiful facility. My scores were also down from my normal average. If you have never shot there, the golf course side can be challenging. There is a lot going on in the background. Yes, the winds were pretty stiff and they do tend to swirl making it difficult to anticipate if the birds will jump or dive. All in all it was a great experience and I am glad to have attended.

· Registered
7,537 Posts
The wind is always a factor but the wind was a little excessive the last couple of days and expected to be so today. Remember Florida is a peninsula and that makes the wind unique. It will also prepare you for when you run into winds elsewhere. What fun would it be if everything was perfect everyday?

Don

· Premium Member
157 Posts
Me and my son shot down there one year I think it was around 2014 or 2015. It was during one of the Dixie grand shoots somewhere mid January. All week it was sunny and upper 60's to low 70's and then on singles championship Saturday it was about 48 degrees and winds stright out of the north but I don't think the wind ever blew the same direction. I had to place my foot on the mic. At times to keep it from blowing over on trap 4 golf corse side. I know to some 48 doesn't seem that cold but at the silver dollar sometimes your score on days like that will match the temperature.

· Registered
12,998 Posts
Tuesday's doubles were canceled. The trap help they expected and needed to run 10 banks failed to show up so they used 8 banks and the events are running long with more shooters this year.

Pat
Since The Dollar has 26 traps total ,I assume you mean 8 banks of 2 which would be 16 traps . That would indeed push it to cover a shoot of that size. even in a doubles event. They ran into the a "help" problem last year at the FL state shoot and ran way behind. Seems to be a common problem now. Hopefully they will be able to get it all done but ,with only 16 traps running it's going to be tight .

· Registered
8,590 Posts
Who was the author of the book? "Doubles: The Redheaded Step-Child". 😁

Last time I shot there, the same thing happened. Waited around "all day" and they ran out of daylight.

Hope to go there again some day.

Bob Falfa

· Premium Member
6,286 Posts
The lady that ran the trap help died due to cancer and alot of the help is kin to her and they stayed in New York for the funeral.
I can't remember her name. I think she was young maybe 55 or so.
Someone may know the facts better than me.
Henry

· Registered
2,105 Posts
The lady that ran the trap help died due to cancer and alot of the help is kin to her and they stayed in New York for the funeral.
I can't remember her name. I think she was young maybe 55 or so.
Someone may know the facts better than me.
Henry
I was told by one of the scorers there they were having a hard time getting help this year. That would explain why they only ran 8 banks this week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.