Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently got into shotshell reloading and made up a bunch of boxes for trap shooting. The load I am using is win AA shells, win209 primer, winAA wad and 17.0 grains of 700x. I weighed my charged from my loader to be sure I was getting the proper weight when I started loading and I was getting 16.7, 16.8 ect. However after getting about 3 boxes done I decided to weigh it again and was getting lighter charges of powder anywhere from 16.0- 16.5. My question is will these loads still be safe to shoot? They are about 1 grain lighter than the reloading manual calls for. I have the problem corrected now but want to make sure I will be ok shooting these. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
They'll be fine and when you shoot them, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the ones with 16 grains and the ones with 17 grains.

Reactions: Eddiefromoverlook

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You should be fine shooting 1 1/8 you can load that down to 15.5 per the book

Reactions: Eddiefromoverlook

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
By the way, smart move weighing your powder charges regularly. Too many people get into reloading and don't realize the importance of weighing your charges. You're ahead of the curve.

Reactions: henrydog

·
Registered
56 Posts
That small of a variation shouldnt affect much, if anything. 700x does get very dirty and stinky when loaded very light, however. I have an old 4# jug that is Dupont marked. Could just be the age but it smells terrible! Breaks targets very well, though lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shot them. All went bang. Couldn't tell the difference as others said. Thanks for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts