Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen:

So I'm thinking about buying an inexpensive, full size, single stack, 9mm, 1911 type pistol. For lack of a better term let's call it an entry level, budget priced, or low end model.

The point of the exercise is shooting cheap. Whatever I buy will get fed a steady diet of reloads using coated cast lead bullets stuffed in range brass. I'm talking cheap here. However, it can't be the cheapest of the cheap because there's a short list of minimum requirements.

1. Off the list is any product from a country that isn't a U.S. ally. That specifically includes Turkey.
2. Required features include an ambi-safety, beaver tail, adjustable sights (something better than standard issue G.I.) and a trigger that's either pretty decent out of the box (let's say 5 pounds, plus smooth and crisp) or that can be made that way by a competent gunsmith.

Here's the bottom line... I'm not picky or asking for much. I'm just looking to pick up a 12 or 15 hundred dollar gun for about $600. Foolishness aside, it would appear Rock Island's Rock Ultra FS Single 9mm or an STI Spartan model might fit the fill.

Anybody have first hand experience with either of those models or have another suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

sissy

·
Registered
183 Posts
STI quit making the Spartan a while ago and stopped 1911 manufacturing altogether. I had a Spartan and it was a great pistol. I would say go for if you find one. The RIA would probably be good too as they made most of the Spartan. How about Springfield Armory Range Officer?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I have a RIA 1911 9mm that hits most of your criteria. It's the older Tac 11 model, but looks identical to the current Ultra FS. Really fun to shoot and overall quality is quite good for the price point. I'd buy it again.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I'll second the Springfield Armory guns. I mostly build my own, but I work on friend's guns if they need help. I think the Range Officer or Loaded is a great starter gun. For one it runs right out of the box. It comes with a forged frame, match fit barrel and forged slide. Now that they no longer use the goofy ILS system, all you have to do is shoot 500 rounds to smooth out the trigger.

It is true they use some MIM internals, but they are good ones. So when they wear out after 40,000 rounds, replace them with good billet or bar stock parts and you are good to 120,000 rounds. There are other similar SA models. Just pick one, be done with it, shoot well and don't agonize over whether a cheaper Rock Island would do. It won't. There are a bunch of SA's at my home club. Mostly Loadeds, Range Officers and some TRPs.

BTW, if you find a good deal on an older one, you can change out the ILS system to 'normal' 1911 for about $15.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Some like the hi-point some don't. they never fail and you can get into one for app $150.00. Gander here in Michigan just had the 9mm for $129.00. Told from a friend. I personally don't buy or use them but have heard nothing bad about them.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
I have a 9mm Rock Island. Sent it to Ross Carter for tuning and a trigger job, and possibly a new barrel if needed. He just tweaked the trigger and sent it back with a note saying he would not touch anything else. Accurate and virtually no jams.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
At the price point of the range officer, ill be honest, why the heck woudnt you buy a kimber!? a basic pro carry II goes for under 800 bucks. unless you are looking for a full framed full size gun.

·
Registered
32,283 Posts
Gentlemen:

So I'm thinking about buying an inexpensive, full size, single stack, 9mm, 1911 type pistol. For lack of a better term let's call it an entry level, budget priced, or low end model.

The point of the exercise is shooting cheap. Whatever I buy will get fed a steady diet of reloads using coated cast lead bullets stuffed in range brass. I'm talking cheap here. However, it can't be the cheapest of the cheap because there's a short list of minimum requirements.

1. Off the list is any product from a country that isn't a U.S. ally. That specifically includes Turkey.
2. Required features include an ambi-safety, beaver tail, adjustable sights (something better than standard issue G.I.) and a trigger that's either pretty decent out of the box (let's say 5 pounds, plus smooth and crisp) or that can be made that way by a competent gunsmith.

Here's the bottom line... I'm not picky or asking for much. I'm just looking to pick up a 12 or 15 hundred dollar gun for about $600. Foolishness aside, it would appear Rock Island's Rock Ultra FS Single 9mm or an STI Spartan model might fit the fill.

Anybody have first hand experience with either of those models or have another suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

sissy
Sissy,

I have several 1911’s in various calibers, mostly homemade from 80% frames. I have three store bought and one is a Rock Island which I got with Cabela’s points. If I paid money for it I would not have been dissatisfied. They are low cost, but I would not describe them as cheap. You should be able to pick one up for 500 or less. You won’t get all your money back when you sell it, if you do, but if you want a plinker, I think there are far worse choices you could make.

Reactions: Recoil Sissy

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Rock Island R/O hands down. Only time mine hangs up is when I let a bad reload slip in. Entirely my fault for pulling the handle to fast. Have shot a lot of new and no problems. Wife thinks it's too heavy, she uses a lite full size Smith.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have never owned a RIA, but have seen a lot on the range and have shot a few. They seem to work just fine.

I owned a Springfield Loaded. It was a good gun.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Rock Island. I've had a few and no complaints. My gun now is a Kimber Pro Carry, a Commander size. My last RI grouped equally well. Both were used, the K was $450, the RI $400.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts