Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of late myself & several other shooters that I know have been having lite hits on Federal Papers.

The guns involved are Inifinty, Perrazzi , K-80

Also, Blazers have been breaking firing pins on Estate Ammo--which is made by Federal.

Would love to know if anyone else is having problems with new factory ammo.

Also, maybe; the Failure to Fire rule should be revised-

1) if you show a new Factory Shell with a light hit to the puller it shouldn't be counted--imagine losing due to a box of crappy ammo

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
Phil: That's why you would have to change the box of ammo after the 2nd failure to fire. Then If you have problems with say a Win. or Rem. ammo they would say you have a defective gun. Then you could shoot your back-up gun if you have one. Personally I would like to see the rules changed, so that they match the NSSA, and NSCA. If you forget to load a shell, or turned on safety by accident, they are all "Lost Targets". You called for it. If it was a human mistake its your fault and lost. Now NSSA/NSCA will give you 2 gun misfires (if guns fault) or 2 shell misfires (shell problem) per round, after 2 you must change gun or shells or you will lose the next target if it happens again. You can still have a gun and a shell fault in the same round, but these are real, real rare. I see way to many shooters just not shoot after a bad flinch, or worst yet because of a extreme angle they don't like, so they just don't shoot it and get another free target. That's 8 times in a event (2 per round) they can cheat, because they don't like the angle or have a flinch habit. Both should be lost targets in my book. The rules are what they are, and I can't change them.So you have to live with it, its still fair if everyone abids by the same rules!!! break em all. Jeff

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
I shot Federal Papers and Federal Premium Plastic ammo all last week at the MO state shoot. I had a total of 7 FTF out of 900 rounds. FAR too many IMO.

I never tried to refire the ones that hit light, I did not want to chance having them not go off the second time. I used my "spare" shells which were Federal Top Guns. They ALWAYS go off.

I was shooting a Browning Cynergy Trap.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The ammo companies are trying to contain costs and not price themselves so high the public stops buying their products, to this end most manufacturers look for ways to reduce costs often times trapping themselves in the cost savings process, look at GM and ignition switches as an example. Remington had a similar primer problem in 2009 where tha anvil material was so stiff most firing pins wouldn't ignite the primer on the first strike causing a misfire. I had this problem and called Remington who addmitted the problem and sent me a call tag for my remaining shells sending me replacements plus additional shells for my trouble.

If you have a problem with anyone's shells the first thing to do is write down the batch number off the shell boxes, all of them and then call the manufacturer with your complaint giving them the batch numbers and go fron there.

If Blazers are breaking firing pins I would be talking with them it's not a primer problem.

Have a problem, call the manufacturer first, always..............

Surfer

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just bought 7 flats of Fed 3 dram papers. Shot through 9 boxes and had one light hit that didn't fire. Tossed it in my bag and tried it later with the same gun and it fired. Wouldn't be an issue except I have not had a single ftf on more than 10k reloads last year. The Federals were the first new shells I've fired in years.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Not sure if I will buy Federal Papers again or not. They can not be trusted to go off, and in competition, that is a very bad thing. Funny thing, I have NEVER had a FTF with Rio, or Fiocchi shells, only with the Premium stuff.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Out of curiosity, from what year's batch are these defective Federal Papers? I've never had or even heard of a problem with papers before. They are normally the best of the best.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Out of curiosity, from what year's batch are these defective Federal Papers? I've never had or even heard of a problem with papers before. They are normally the best of the best.
I bought mine in the last 3 months.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Have shot quite a few papers with no problems, bought them last summer. I do not reload. Has been a long time since I had a FTF with any brand. I use them all, Rem, Win, Fed, Rio.

Update, had a FTF today on 2nd shot of DBLS, first time in a very long time, was using Rem
STS, primer was hit hard, should have gone off, shells are several years old

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
As of late myself & several other shooters that I know have been having lite hits on Federal Papers.

The guns involved are Inifinty, Perrazzi , K-80

Also, Blazers have been breaking firing pins on Estate Ammo--which is made by Federal.

Would love to know if anyone else is having problems with new factory ammo.

Also, maybe; the Failure to Fire rule should be revised-

1) if you show a new Factory Shell with a light hit to the puller it shouldn't be counted--imagine losing due to a box of crappy ammo

Phil Berkowitz
I havn't had a FFT on new shells in over 10 yrs, any brand.

jack mc

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Guys, if you have ammo problems, please post the lot numbers? That way guys buying new ammo has a better chance at not getting stung with defective lot numbers!

HAP

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I shoot a Cynergy, and had only 6 out of the box of Top Guns go off while shooting sporting clays. When a straight edge was laid across the base of the shell, it was obvious the primer was set too deep. I borrowed a few boxes of Winchester Super Targets from a friend, and had no problems at all for the rest of the day. I reported my problem to the Browning warranty gunsmith, who I happen to know, and he gave the gun a good inspection. He reported there was nothing wrong with the gun, the springs and pins were good, but he lengthened the the striking distance on the pin 10 thousandths, just to make sure I wouldn't have the same problem in the future.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My son and I went through two years worth of Federal paper and plastic in the Premium line and did not have a single failure to fire. Don't even want to think about how many rounds that involved.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I, too, have had failures to fire with recently-purchased Federal Paper 3 x 1.125 x 7.5 shells. It has only occured with my Perazzi, and only in the top barrel. They do fire in the bottom barrel, though, even after misfiring in the top. This is the only shell ever to exhibit this in my gun.

Tony

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
I would think the light hits you complain about are a gun problem. The hard hits that don't fire are they real or imagined? I shoot over 20,000 targets a year and I have never had a problem with the premium shell BUT saw today 6 cheaper shells non- fired and two peel the metal on extraction.

Don

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
I would think the light hits you complain about are a gun problem. The hard hits that don't fire are they real or imagined? I shoot over 20,000 targets a year and I have never had a problem with the premium shell BUT saw today 6 cheaper shells non- fired and two peel the metal on extraction.

Don
I would tend to agree with you, except I have fired thousands of "cheap" shells as you put it and NEVER had a FTF. I have fired only a few flats of premium shells and have had more than an acceptable amount of FTF's.

On that note, I bought 2 more flats of Fed papers and 2 more Fed plastics today. I will give them another try. I like the way they shoot, when they actually go off. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts