Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Vermont castings gas log/stove/heater that is popping pretty loud when it ignites. I have cleaned the burner and vacced it out, still doing it.any help appreciated.

thanks Bill

·
Premium Member
12,290 Posts
You do not give much information...

Assuming it is electric start it sounds like the spark source is having troubles reaching the flammable fuel/air mixture.

It could have burned the tip back a bit (think worn spark plug electrode), or it has been knocked out of alignment. this will allow the volume of fuel/air mixture to accumulate to a greater level than normal. When it finally finds the 'spark' there is a larger ignition than normal and hence the popping.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a pilot. Everything looked ok when I took it apart and cleaned it. Maybe an obstruction in the burner keeping the gas from reaching the pilot. I was just hoping someone had the same stove and similar problem. I researched blogs and such with no results. Bill

·
Premium Member
12,290 Posts
Is it vented to the outside or unvented?

Also, how old is the unit?

·
Premium Member
12,290 Posts
First thought for an 11 year old stove would be that there is a dirt build up somewhere that impacts the fuel/air ratio or volume.

1) check the orifice itself that lets gas into the stove - should be located in the gas valve itself. TINY hole through it - needs to be sure it is open.

2) the burner holes might need to be blown out as well - 11 years of dust and soot build up.

Food for thought

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
I'm with Steve on this one. My boiler was woofing pretty good on start and pulling the burner to clean with the air compressor fixed it. You may want to see if your pilot flame is sufficient also.

HM

·
Registered
6 Posts
my heating stove was doing the same thing last year, cleaned everything as said above. But that did not fix it. Ended up puting a new gas valve on it that fixed the problem. According to the company that made the stove condensation causes rust in valve which slow down gas flow.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
It it a TIK TIK TIK or a POP POP POP or a WHOOOOOSH or a KABOOOOM!!!

The latter would be a bad thing.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Why would you not just call the HVAC people right away? Get it fixed right for your wife's sake as well as your own. Every year houses blow up from faulty systems.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Had a similar issue with furnace. Cleaned, new thermocouple, etc, turned out to be gas valve. Would hang up and then slam,open,releasing a big volume of,gas instead of a regulated volume. Would get an explosion of the gas instead of burning. would be Ok until it shut down and cooled,down and then tried to,reignite. New gas valve fixed it.

Good luck, nice stove, I had the woodburner type until I got too old to,deal,with wood issues and chimney cleaning . Have a propane now and although more,expensive, it is a lot easier and cleaner.also,zero,clearance so,you don't get burned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts