Trapshooters Forum banner

Lost target!!! WHAT?

6105 Views 55 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  Horace Best
I bought a different gun last week. I shot about 10 boxes through it with no problem. Today I went to a 50 target money shoot. The gun is a Kolar with adjustable trigger for length. I also shoot a release trigger. I put the gun up and set the trigger and the gun went off. (That's why we always point the gun in a safe direction). I never called for a target and no target came out when the gun went off. At no time was there a target in the air. The guy next to me starts to put his gun up, and I said wait a minute, I didn't call for a target. I proceeded to call for another target and got it. Now, I did miss one target later. I walked off the line thinking I had a 24. We walked over to the next trap, and the scorer said I gave you a loss for when your gun went off. I said, I never called for a target how can you give me a loss. He said I just went in the office and asked, they said "We shoot ATA rules here, and that's what the rule says". I said "OK" I'm fine, I'm not going to argue. I used to shoot ATA and I never heard of that. When I left the club that's how it stood. Did I have a 23 or 24? Because the same thing happened on the next field.
Got home and looked at the trigger, the set screw that locks the trigger was loose. The trigger was falling forward when I opened the gun and when I was setting the trigger it would catch enough to set the trigger but then it would jump to the next setting and releasing next setting causing the gun to fire!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
36,930 Posts
I've witnessed this several times but never was it considered a loss. I'm surprised your squad-mates failed to speak up on your behalf?
I would have.
I would not be surprised considering how few trap shooters belong to ATA and this is a non ATA shoot. I am not trying to admonish OP, but if it were me and I was told the club shoots under guidance of ATA rules, I would have whipped out my copy of the ATA rule book I always have with me and said “show me that rule.” Even if people do not carry a copy in print, you can pull it up on the ATA website and don’t have to be a member to do that.

· Registered
36,930 Posts
See what I mean?

Answer on page 28 of rule book.

I am leaving website now.

· Registered
2,992 Posts
On P. 30, No Target
6. When the trap is sprung without any call of pull, or when it is sprung at any material interval of time before or after the call of the contestant, provided the contestant does not fire. If the contestant fires, the result must be scored.

I think there might have been a misinterpretation of this rule. Since the gun went “bang”, an assumption was made that a) a call was uttered b) “the result must be scored.”

No target is the proper call.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've witnessed this several times but never was it considered a loss. I'm surprised your squad-mates failed to speak up on your behalf?
I would have.
After I was done shooting and back in the clubhouse. The scorer told me the squad-mates said let him shoot over. I did not hear it but, he said the office over ruled it.

· Registered
36,930 Posts
On P. 30, No Target
6. When the trap is sprung without any call of pull, or when it is sprung at any material interval of time before or after the call of the contestant, provided the contestant does not fire. If the contestant fires, the result must be scored.

I think there might have been a misinterpretation of this rule. Since the gun went “bang”, an assumption was made that a) a call was uttered b) “the result must be scored.”

No target is the proper call.
Maybe the score keeper cannot hear all the calls made and thought he called for it?

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,771 Posts
Maybe the score keeper cannot hear all the calls made and thought he called for it?
Even still, no target. Think doubles. I've seen a lot of people shoot at no target and have to shoot the pair over.
Edit...
Maybe not. After rereading post 13 I'm thinking maybe not. They shoot the pair over but it's loss dead on the score sheet... dunno.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.