Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 yr. old male Brit 'Bart' has been on meds for a heart problem for the last yr, and the last few days he had more problems breathing, vet changed his meds two days ago and said lest see if this will help, and he was acting better, but last night late he got really clingy and I figured I would just lay on the couch with him all night. Woke up about 4am and he was gone.

I lost his sister Lisa in mid Oct of 2013 to cancer. She went really fast only started getting sick mid afternoon and by six she was gone. The vet ran blood test on her about 4pm when I took her in and her levels looked ok but were on the low side but x-rays showed mass in stomach. We were discussing next step and she just went down fast.

Their Mother Katie I had to put down on June 9,2013 She was 17yr, 3 mo. 20 days. I had cancer surgery done on her when she was 13 and she did fine after that. She went blind and deaf about 16 or so and did really well as a kitchen dog. Her last hunting trip was to S.D. in 2010 made the Grand in 2011.

Never thought I would loose all 3 so fast. Now have to go deal with our Great Per, she is 7 and been in love with Bart & Lisa since we brought her home at six wks. Since Lisa died she has not left Barts side & sleeps by him every night. Last night she was up set and this morning at 5 when I went to put her out she wouldn't go. She just laid in her bed and looked at me with those hound dog eyes. Think she knows. Thought I'd feel better about writing this, but don't Al Maly

·
Premium Member
12,304 Posts
Sorry for your loss Al,

I had to put my Brittany down this past summer - 16 1/2 years (We'd lost her niece the year before - she was around 13).

House is too quiet without her.

David D

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
I am SO sorry to hear of your loss. Some may think its foolish but I call it tragic to a family. Just like losing a child. My weimmy just got back from surgery to remove a cancerous toe. I know exactly how you feel.

All the best to you and may memories help ease your pain. I am glad you stayed close last night.

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
I am SO sorry to hear of your loss. Some may think its foolish but I call it tragic to a family. Just like losing a child. My weimmy just got back from surgery to remove a cancerous toe. I know exactly how you feel.

All the best to you and may memories help ease your pain. I am glad you stayed close last night.

·
Super Moderator
3,178 Posts
Al, you know we lost our vizsla in July, and we talk about her pretty much everyday. We are so sorry for your loss, and it does get a little better everyday.

I thought as I got older it would be easier to cope with the loss of our animals, but I think the opposite is true. Our last 2 vizsla's lived 10 years each, and that darn time flew, way to short.

Try to think about all the fun times and great hunts, you had many with them and it will bring a smile to your face. Take care my friend, Harv.

·
Banned
673 Posts
al,sorry to hear about your loss. i'm sure bart took with him many good memories and left many of the same memories for you to enjoy when you think of him / jamie65

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Sorry for your loss Al. The worst days of my life so far were the ones when dogs were euthanized. I've always said never again, but I always relent and bring home a new puppy.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
So Sorry for your loss and I know the feeling...somehow a house just isn't home without a pup sleeping at your feet..looking down right now at a pair of droopy brown eyes ,..my drowsy lab happy I'm home from trap league

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Al,
No words can express what people that love dogs are feeling for you and your family at this time. please know that are thoughts are with you as you work through you loss.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sorry for your loss Al. Dog do leave "footprints on our hearts". It's plain to see you care very much for your dogs.

When in time the pain subsides, please consider a rescue dog. Some of them have some "baggage", and it takes a special kind of family to give them a chance.

Google "Brittany Rescue" for one near you. Some of my friends have some real nice Britts............. I understand your pain.

·
Registered
671 Posts
So sorry for your loss, I know the heartbreak! I have lost 2 Brittany's in the last 1-1/2 years, still miss them dearly.
How dumb we are, we get another and go through it all over again? It's hell to be a dog lover!

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
We lost our two Brits about a year apart. The last a little female was the only dog out of many that my wife really bonded with. She has refused another dog because she doesn't want the hurt of losing another.

Your pain is real and expected. As a dog person you have to accept the fact that you lose your pal in a few short years. They leave us with many fond memories that we never forget and it's why most of us do it again.

Hang tough.

Don

1 - 20 of 20 Posts