Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 391 to take “ snow birding” this winter. It has a paralell stock and a standard LOP. It is fine for pre-mounted games like Trap or Skeet , but at Sporting Clays I find myself not properly getting on the gun.

Short of having it cut or adding an Adjustable Comb is their a techinque that would help me to mount it for sporting clays?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
IMHO - all competition guns should have an adjustable comb. Some require an adjustable butt plate as well. I do not believe there are any shortcuts that will allow the same benefit

Reactions: John Henry

·
Registered
679 Posts
The simple answer is, "NO". It's like a shoe that is too small, you can't add to make it smaller. What is wrong with the obvious, cut it and be happy ever more.....

·
Registered
14,618 Posts
Cut it. If someone buys it later they can always add a thicker pad or a RAD, and an adjustable butt plate, plus a thicker pad. I shoot 15 3/8" and have to add to almost every factory stock/ gun I buy

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I bought a 391 to take “ snow birding” this winter. It has a paralell stock and a standard LOP. It is fine for pre-mounted games like Trap or Skeet , but at Sporting Clays I find myself not properly getting on the gun.

Short of having it cut or adding an Adjustable Comb is their a techinque that would help me to mount it for sporting clays?
Why not use the shims it should have came with to lower the stock?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
thinner pad or do you know a cabinet maker or a skilled wood worker? just take a 1/4 of an inch off ,makes a big difference

·
Registered
162 Posts
i believe the lop with no pad on that gun is 13.5" try shooting it with no pad then add spacers till you get a comfortable feeling. pads come in 4 of 5 thicknesss. i shot a lujtic at md state one year with no pad. broke my first 200

·
Registered
523 Posts
Why not just get a Sporting stock and cut it to fit and then change back to the parallel stock for Trap & Skeet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
+1 to Largo9's suggestion. Have shot 391's for several years, love the gun for all disciplines. Added a PT stock twice with slightly different LOPs hoping to have 1 gun for everything. Find a PT stock works great for trap and skeet but I could never get dialed in for SCs (shoot low and mounted for SC depending on target presentation). Switched back to a Sporting stock that ultimately feels best for me all around & scores immediately improved in SC (although the Sporting feels less natural now for trap, I decided it outweighs a PT for SC).

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
If you don't cut it you will never be happy but there is a way to shoot sporting with it the way it is.
Pre Mount it on your shoulder but do not put your face on the comb until your closing it on the shot.
Henry

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Which pad is on it now? They come with different width pads. How much shorter do you want to go? Another option is work on your low mount. You want to extend the gun and pull it into your shoulder, not just sweep it up toward your shoulder, where it catches on your clothes. How face on to the target, you stand, also affects the length of pull you need.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
It always amazes me how guys will shoot guns that do not fit because they are afraid to do what needs to be done to make it so.

If the stock is too long, cut it or put on a thinner pad.

Don't be afraid to take a saw to a stock. It's just a piece of wood. I've cut too many to count with my compound miter saw. Use painters tape on the cut line, jig it in place and have at it!

It's just that simple.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts