Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 guns with Greg Hissem adjustable combs. My problem is that the screws keep loosening up and of course then the comb is loose. Any fix for this? Thanks. Ed

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same problem with my comb. FWIW, it was not done by Greg Hissem. I made sure the comb was exactly where I needed it and put blue loctite on the set screws. Has been fine now for about 200 rounds. Don't use red loctite or you will never get the screws loose.

Darryl

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Clear fingernail polish on the threads should do the trick...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Use 2 shorter set screws, one on top of the other... or if you have the space put a short one on top of the existing one. The inner one should always be a bit longer. The inner one is tight, the outer just snug.

MK

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Like Dan, I use clear nail polish, problem solved. Mine came loose about every 25 shots ( big loads for games) Been tight now for months. I do like unknown solution however

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
The idea MK gave is what Greg Hissem did on my adjustable comb and RAD II he installed. It works great and i've never had one loosen.

Matt

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have spacers; but I need to keep the screws tight. I placed some nail polish on the screws, before I read the reply about using a set screw. The set screw sounds like the way to go. Thanks. Ed

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Sounds wierd, doesn't it? Using a set screw to keep a set screw tight.... ROFLOL... Dan

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
No different than using a jam nut to keep a standard nut tight on a bolt or stud. Only difference is the threads on the set screws are on the outside while the threads of the jam nut are on the inside.

MK

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Are the post made of SS? If so you must torque them down a little tighter. I make mine out of Brass so this does not happen
Don

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Using the "jam" screw is the best idea I've heard of yet! Less of a PITA than having the comb rattle loose when beginning an important round and makes for easy removal anytime!! I lost two targets "thinking" about my loose comb in the first 5 targets at a recent shoot! Had to hold up my squad till I got my wrench out of my shooting bag and re-tightened them, then ran the rest. I'm headed for the screw shop so I don't screw myself again with this PITA problem!

Hap

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.