Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing a loading run of 410 AA hulls and had several primers that would push out when first crimp was started. Using older white boxed Winchester primers, Winchester WAA41 wads, #9 shot, PW #1 shot bushing and 14gr of Winchester 296 powder. Hulls are once fired. Is there a difference in the older white box primers to the blue box?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Not supposed to be a difference other than packaging. There is a primer pocket swaging tool that will tighten the pockets.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"There is a primer pocket swaging tool that will tighten the pockets."
Where or who sales them?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EdSy

These are supposed to be once fired, but came to be deprimed, so that is a possibility, but only 1 hull out of every 7 or so has this problem.

·
Registered
16,719 Posts
Use a 243 rifle shell for a gauge. If the bullet goes in up to the brass the primer pocket is oversize. If the bullet stops about 3/4 in it's normal. Got stuck with a load of Gold Medals once that had been loaded with Fiocchi, and found this solution for sorting them.

HM

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well finally tried the swaging tool, its a hit or miss, plus there are probably 700 or so of these hulls. Temped to pick up some Fiocchi at the club today. How do they compare to the W209s, hotter/colder?

·
Registered
10,867 Posts
These are supposed to be once fired, but came to be deprimed, so that is a possibility, but only 1 hull out of every 7 or so has this problem.
I'd bet that your hulls have oversized primer pockets, and where reloaded once before with a larger type primer. You can still use them though. Try reloading them with the Rio, or Nobel Sport primers. Both of these primers are oversized. You will need to continue to use these primers until you toss the hulls. So will any other hulls that you load with them. Its also possible that your shotgun will puncture the primer cover on these primers as well. This can be a problem with some shotguns when using these Euro type primers. It does not always happen though.

Now you know why I buy all my shells brand new!!! I then, Get the rebate from Win. AA to lower my final cost. Then I reload them with nothing but Win. 209 primers as well. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was practically given these, so no real cost except shipping. At $10.00 plus a box to buy new is pretty hard to justify for me.
Only problem is finding some one in the area that carries either Rio, Nobel or even Fiocchi's.

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
I was practically given these, so no real cost except shipping. At $10.00 plus a box to buy new is pretty hard to justify for me.
Only problem is finding some one in the area that carries either Rio, Nobel or even Fiocchi's.
Ballistic Products has some.
They're pricy, but beggers can't be choosy.
MG
Screenshot_20200814-194514_Chrome.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts